Organization: The Wilds
Location: Cumberland, Ohio, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Wilds is one of the largest and most innovative conservation centers in the world. Internship positions are available in field ecology programs during the Spring and Summer. Below is a summary of the position:
• The spider ecology apprenticeship will focus on assisting the Wilds’ conservation science programs and the Ohio State University’s Department of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology with field surveys and studies focusing on spiders at the Wilds Biological Field Station.
• Schedule: Five days per week. 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM September 1st, 2013 – March 1st, 2014 (flexible upon arrangement).
• Candidates must be responsible, flexible, self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as in a team.
• Typical tasks: conducting assigned field surveys for spiders; measurement and documentation of appropriate physical and habitat variables; and data entry .
• Skills training: research techniques; research methodology; spider collection techniques; spider identification; water chemistry analysis; GPS/GIS applications; use of appropriate equipment including but not limited to water chemistry meters, rangefinders, calipers, etc.; and data recording, analysis, and presentation.
• The position is physically demanding at times, requiring outdoor work in a variety of temperatures and sometimes challenging conditions.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift at least 45 lbs.
Interns do not receive monetary compensation; however the position is ideal for those interested in a career in conservation, natural resource management, or ecological studies. Opportunities for school credit are available. On-site housing is available for $250/month.
To apply, send your resume with references and a cover letter to the contact below. Please outline your interest in the position, what you would hope to gain from it and how your past experience makes you an ideal candidate. All internships at the Wilds are competitive and we value placing individuals in programs that suit their career goals.
Please send application materials to:
Director of Conservation Science
14000 International Road
Cumberland, OH 43732
740-638-5030 ext. 2301