Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering an opportunity for students to participate in an unpaid internship with the Marketing Department! This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside keepers, develop important professional relationships and gain valuable experience! Aspirations of working in the Marketing field required. The intern will directly support the Director of Marketing and Promotions Coordinator.
• Assist with coordinating logistics for Houston Zoo promotional and fundraising events, including submitting all necessary paperwork, procuring all supplies, and communicating with HZI staff and outside parties to ensure successful event. These events include, but are not limited to, Photo Day, World Oceans Day, and Dreamnight.
• Assist with miscellaneous special projects.
• Tracks and maintains inventory of collateral materials. Assist in the development and maintenance of a contact database for marketing initiatives.
• Assist with coordination and implementation of event sponsorship elements, ensuring sponsor satisfaction and assisting with sponsorship recap.
• Assist with working all off-site booth activations, including staffing HZI booths at Texans games, Dynamo games, Children’s Fest and others. Create new booth activation games and activities to engage the public. Procure all necessary supplies and giveaway items.
• Serve as point-of-contact on-site at all of the above events, overseeing all deliveries, vendors, setup, and execution of event.
• Assist with writing for the Zoo’s website and blogs.
• Assist with developing sponsorship proposals for potential partners—help with research.
• Provide internal Marketing Department support as needed
• Assure complete, timely, accurate communication with internal and external parties
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Must be a self-starter.
• Effective project management skills essential.
• Able to multi-task essential.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products particularly Excel and Power Point.
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of research/analysis a plus.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Coursework in Marketing and/or Communications related field is preferred.
• The position involves minimal physical exertion, except when assisting the production of a special event or promotion. Walking, lifting and lots of time outside may be required on specific occasions.
• This position requires interns work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust. However, with the exceptions of special events, most opportunities are indoors.
Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli with in moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements.
Requires heavy public contact requiring considerable interpersonal and negotiation skills, extensive interaction with the public, some donors, members and the press, plus a large number of vendors and co-promotional partners.
• We are currently accepting applications until July 31, 2013. Internships will begin in September until mid December.
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at email@example.com.