Organization: Brevard Zoo
Location: Melbourne, FL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Basic Function: Leads daily operations of the animal care center and sea turtle rehabilitation facility, including assistance in the restraint and medication of animals, performance of diagnostic tests, maintenance of hospital cleanliness, maintenance of records, assistance in surgical procedures, and coordination with local sea turtle rescue groups. Must be able to work as an integral part of the zoo team and communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, volunteers, students, and guests.
- Provides assistance to the Veterinarian which involves such duties as performing necropsies and properly disposing of medical materials, monitoring hospital animals, and providing treatment as needed.
- Performs laboratory work which involves such duties as performing diagnostic tests on blood, urine, feces, and other tissues for all Zoo animal species; developing, maintaining, and utilizing microbiology system; utilizing various stains for slide preparations; preparing and storing blood, serum, or plasma; collecting swabs and other types of samples from various animals for diagnostic testing; mailing samples to appropriate laboratories for testing.
- Orders and organizes supplies utilized in the hospital area. Communicates with vendors; organizes delivery and pickup of donated supplies; assists in maintaining inventory and works within budget constraints.
- Responsible for maintaining hospital cleanliness including such duties as sweeping, mopping, dusting, vacuuming, disinfecting equipment and lab areas, emptying garbage, exterminating insects, sterilizing containers and instruments, etc.
- Prepares and maintains various records such as daily medical records, necropsy records, individual animal records, quarantine records, fecal records, etc.
- Operates, utilizes, and maintains various types of equipment and tools such as vehicles, computers, printers, radiography machines, anesthesia machines, surgical instruments, cleaning equipment, medical supplies, etc.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures for hospital and sea turtle rehabilitation areas.
- Consults with and makes recommendations to the Veterinarian and Curators. Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals involved in the operations of the Department including maintenance and education, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with USDA, OSHA, Environmental Health, Florida DBPR, FWCC, and Brevard Zoo Safety Policies.
- Works with the Department of Animal Programs to achieve their objectives.
- Responsible for receiving and admitting rescued sea turtles. Communicates with Veterinarian on all transactions.
- Oversees and directs daily operations of sea turtle rehabilitation facility, including scheduling, feeding, medical needs, paperwork, and training/coordinating volunteers in association with Veterinarian. Cleans and disinfects animal areas and maintains grounds adjacent to the areas.
Must be familiar with legislation relating to the care and keeping of animal in captivity.
Several years experience in working with a variety of animals. Experience working with sea turtles preferred.
Veterinary technician degree preferred, or equivalent experience.
Working knowledge of above mentioned policies.
Must be able to speak intelligently and diplomatically with the public.
Must be able to initiate and write reports, and manage assigned projects.
Must be able to communicate both orally and in writing.
Excellent interpersonal skills required.
To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to: Jackie Fisher, Human Resources Director. Brevard Zoo 8225 N. Wickham Rd.; Melbourne, FL 32940 or email@example.com. No phone calls please. Resumes will be accepted until July 19, 2013.