Organization: Friends of the National Zoo
Location: Washington, DC, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ), a nonprofit member organization dedicated to supporting the education, research, animal care, visitor experience, and sustainability mission of the Smithsonian’s National Zoological Park is seeking an Internal Auditor/ Accountant. The successful candidate will provide financial, operational and compliance audits as well as periodically assessing organizational risks; develop and periodically review and modify where necessary a comprehensive internal audit program; draft reports and investigate discrepancies; provide recommendations for improvements. The candidate will also assist in financial statement & budgeting duties and external audit preparation. The incumbent will be responsible for auditing compliance with internal policies and external laws and regulations, while promoting operational efficiency with the goal of safeguarding assets of the FONZ operations. The candidate will also facilitate discussions with management about audit results and cost effective recommendations for improving internal controls and procedures.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• With minimal direction, scope, plan and execute financial, operational and compliance internal audit programs.
• Communicate results of audits and recommendations for cost effective improvements in controls and processes to management through both written and oral presentations.
• Ensures that all FONZ revenues and expenses are accounted for accurately and effectively. Assist in the internal controls necessary to safeguard FONZ assets and operations
• Ensure that cash management functions & procedures are being followed and assist in reviewing technologies which would reduce risk and increase efficiencies
• Assist in the general accounting and financial statement preparation, analysis, auditing, receivable management and cash management functions
• Assist in the annual budget and quarterly forecasting processes to ensure timely and accurate completion in accordance with established schedules and deadlines
• Assist in recommending, developing, and implementing financial systems for planning, financial reporting, proper internal controls and management information
• Manage the reconciliation of outsourced revenue providers and other contractors. Manage the receivables and reporting for the providers and the related required reporting for management and third parties
• Evaluate and improve risk management to include oversight of the insurance policies.
• Review and ensure that the Organization’s policies and procedures are being followed
• Assist in special projects as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, CPA certification required
• Six years of professional experience in organizations with transactional operations including retail and membership
• Two years of experience in public accounting; Experience in Association or Non-profit preferred
• Know GAAP and accounting for non-profit organizations
• Be a skilled problem solver; capable of handling variety of duties, responsibilities and tasks quickly and efficiently
• Have excellent written and oral communication skills
• Be proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook and internet-based programs. Some experience with Great Plains and FRx helpful
All interested applicants may submit a resume and cover letter at www.fonzjobs.com.
As an equal opportunity employer, FONZ values workplace diversity.