Organization: SEA LIFE
Location: Carlsbad, CA, us
Job or Internship:
SEA LIFE operates over 40 aquariums around the world, and currently five in US. Opened in 2008, and situated just north of San Diego, SEA LIFE Carlsbad one of the largest aquariums in the US SEA LIFE group, and is home to a large and diverse collection of sharks and rays, and marine and freshwater fish and aquatic invertebrates. The Curator at SEA LIFE Carlsbad assists the General Manager, the Senior Curator (US) and the Displays Development Department with the management, organization and strategic planning to achieve consistently high standards of display presentation and animal husbandry in accordance with all SEA LIFE policies, procedures and protocols. The Curator leads the on-site aquarist team, and assists them with the required routine maintenance and development of all aquarium displays, and with all husbandry related issues. Involvement in the development of new SEA LIFE aquariums in the US and elsewhere is anticipated.
• Management and oversight of all aspects of animal care and aquarium life support systems while ensuring a consistently high standard of animal care and displays presentation throughout all public and behind the scenes areas.
• Oversee daily care of animal exhibits including diet preparation, feeding and general care and maintenance of aquatic exhibits in accordance with established protocols.
• Ensure that correct levels of livestock and key species are maintained in all displays through the development and updating of livestock requests.
• Participate in specimen transports, water quality testing, quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease.
• Ensure the accurate maintenance of daily records for aquarium systems and exhibit specimens.
• Interact with guests, management, veterinarians and other individuals as required.
• Participate in the development, delivery and evaluation of the site’s education, conservation and research programs.
• Supervision of day-to-day activities of all aquarists and divers; directing exhibit maintenance, animal husbandry practices, setting aquarist work schedules, and assisting with department budget planning and spending.
• Play a lead role in the continual development and strategic planning of the education programs and the displays in line with the long term goals of the company.
• Work with other departments on delivery and execution of operations within the aquarium, and with the adjacent LEGOLAND California Resort.
• Ensure that the welfare needs of the living collection are met, at the same time as achieving the business goals of the company.
• Represent the aquarium and SEA LIFE at local, regional and national aquarium, scientific and conservation events and conferences.
• Participate in the development of new SEA LIFE aquariums, in the US and elsewhere
Education and Experience
• Undergraduate Degree in Life Sciences required.
• Minimum five years of experience with aquatic animal care in a professional aquarium environment.
• Minimum four years of managerial experience supervising and leading teams and individuals.
• Advanced open water SCUBA certification – Dive Master preferred.
A competitive salary and excellent benefits should be anticipated by the successful candidate. Further details and a full position description are available on our website. Please visit www.LEGOLAND.com/jobs to apply.