Organization: Knoxville Zoological Gardens
Location: Knoxville, TN, United States
Job or Internship: Job
JOB SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Curator of Animal Health, and the Assistant Curator or Lead Veterinary Technician, the individual in this position is responsible for a wide variety of tasks involving the overall operation of the animal hospital and quarantine areas at the Knoxville Zoological Gardens.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Skills and duties required of this position include but are not limited to the following:
VET TECH ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Experienced with maintaining anesthetic and surgical equipment, including surgical packs, sterilization, surgery set-ups, and assisting as a scrub nurse.
• Test collections: setup, perform, and break down test procedures, including blood work, radiographs, cytology, & cultures. Process samples, maintain lab logs, and perform basic microscopy.
• Clinical support, assisting in laboratory protocols and analyses, and diagnostics and medical treatments.
• Assessing animal physical and nutritional requirements.
• Filling prescriptions according to established pharmacy protocols.
• Administers prescribed medication and performs hospitalized animal treatments.
• Assist with the preparation of medications and treatments for animals under veterinary care.
• Day-to-day housekeeping duties, including routine cleaning and maintenance of radiology and treatment room, kitchen/pharmacy, hospital office, hospital storage areas and areas immediately outside of hospital; and also the proper cleaning and storage of restraint equipment and medical equipment and supplies.• Equipment and inventory maintenance.
• Maintain medical records according to protocols, including treatment sheets, ICU sheets, weight logs, diet, and husbandry forms.
• Completing and upkeep of medical records; experience with MedARKS, ARKS, and ZIMS databases a plus.
• Experience with capture and restraint techniques. • Advanced organizational skills, communication and computer skills.
KEEPER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Provide care to newly acquired animals in quarantine.
• Cleans animal quarantine holding, conducts pest control activities and reports any mechanical defects that would endanger the animal or the hospital staff.
• Prepares food for each assigned animal by following written diet instructions, feeds each animal as diet requires, provides water and administers medicines as instructed to ensure proper nutrition and health.
• Provides species-appropriate enrichment opportunities for the animals by adding or rearranging objects and providing a variety of approved foods in a natural setting.
• Cleans and disinfects utensils, work tools and containers.
• Maintains appropriate health and behavior records on assigned animals.
• Participates in and supports animal training programs.
• Adheres to all organization and department policies and practices.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Graduation from and accredited 2 year/4 year veterinary technician program.
• Licensed Veterinary Medical Technician (LVMT) in Tennessee, equivalent license (CVT, RVT, LVT) or ability to obtain license within 6 months of hire.
• Minimum of two years’ experience as a veterinary technician.
• Minimum of one year experience working in a zoo, wildlife center, or with exotic animals; advanced experience with exotic animal species as a veterinary technician, including mammals, large mammals, birds, and reptiles is preferred.
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Willingness to work outside normal business hours, including weekends and holidays.
• Knowledge of the habits and hazards of working with wild animals; willingness to work with some physical risk while observing proper safety precautions.
• Must be able to follow oral and written instructions and document animal care activities.
• Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and zoo guests.
• Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Excellent team-building and leadership skills.
• Ability to traverse zoo grounds.
• Able to bend and twist, lift, stand, kneel, sit, walk, bend, stoop, crawl, hear, and speak regularly and for long periods of time (10 hour shifts or longer).
• Ability to lift in excess of 50 pounds; frequently move moderate to heavy objects; standing, bending, squatting, twisting, reaching, etc.; may work from elevated positions.
• Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time.
• Ability to work in small confined spaces.
• Ability to work in all weather conditions.
• Ability to wear requisite Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that may include rubber/latex gloves, steel-toed boots/shoes, face shields, eye goggles, etc.
• Ability to maintain immune response to exposure to infectious and parasitic diseases.
• Risk exposure to fairly predictable and controllable hazards associated with wild animals and zoonotic diseases.
• Rabies vaccinated is preferred.
Please visit the link for application instructions: http://www.applitrack.com/knoxzoo/onlineapp/.