Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering opportunities to participate in unpaid internships in the Children’s Zoo! This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside keepers, develop important professional relationships and gain valuable experience! The Children’s Zoo has a large and diverse collection of birds, mammals, reptiles, invertebrates, amphibians and fish!
Keeper Intern: successful candidate will assist Children’s Zoo keepers and participate in many aspects of husbandry including:
• animal enrichment
• animal handling
• diet preparation
• cleaning of animal exhibits and holding areas
• exhibit maintenance
• observing and recording animal condition, behaviors, and responses
• positive and educational interaction with zoo guests
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Qualified Interns for this position with previous experience in volunteering or working in an animal related field is a plus.
• This position requires interns to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds).
• We are currently accepting applications until July 25, 2013. Internships will begin in September until mid December.
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.