Organization: South Carolina Aquarium
Location: Charleston, SC, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Join the team at Charleston, South Carolina's #1 Visitor Attraction located on the Pristine Charleston Harbor!
The Director of Advancement is responsible for planning, managing and implementing the fundraising activities of the South Carolina Aquarium to achieve institutional operating goals and strategic objectives.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Director of Advancement is responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive annual fundraising plan, including, but not limited to, annual appeals, major gift solicitation, membership, corporate and foundation giving, grant writing, special event fundraising and planned giving. The position will direct and oversee campaigns to secure capital, programmatic and endowment needs as planned by Aquarium leadership. In addition, the Director of Advancement will create and sustain strong relations with the President and CEO, leadership staff, the Board of Directors and its committees, and community leaders. The position directly supervises a team of five fundraising professionals and interacts regularly with key volunteers.
• Lead the staff and Board in effective cultivation of the donor community to ensure growth and long-term institutional sustainability.
• Direct the solicitation strategy of targeted prospects, utilizing effective deployment of the President and CEO, Board leaders and senior staff.
• Develop and implement strategies for the effective stewardship of all donors.
• Direct the annual gift activities of the Aquarium through personal solicitation, direct mail, social media, as appropriate.
• Oversee the Aquarium’s fundraising special events, in partnership with volunteer committees.
• Coordinate the Aquarium’s grant strategy and proposals.
• Manage the Aquarium’s membership and Society program.
• Create and implement plans for periodic capital, programmatic and endowment campaigns, in concert with the President and CEO and Board of Directors.
• Oversee the development of a planned giving program.
• Partner with the Aquarium’s marketing and sales staff to ensure effective coordination of corporate solicitation, sponsorship and sales initiatives.
• Prepare an annual fundraising budget, benchmarks and metrics.
• Provide detailed regular assessments of fundraising performance for leadership and Board review, including level of fundraising activity and funds secured.
• Conduct staff performance reviews.
• Adhere to the South Carolina Aquarium Policies & Procedures.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Participate as an active member of the Aquarium’s strategic leadership team.
• Supports the mission by participating in Aquarium sponsored programs and events on a regular basis.
• Staff liaison to Board of Directors Advancement and Governance Committees.
• Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned by the President and CEO.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Outstanding organizational, management and planning skills.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office Products and in Raiser’s Edge.
• Budget preparation skills.
• Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Able to deal with changing priorities and remain sensitive to mission-related issues.
• Ability to speak persuasively in a team-oriented environment.
• Collaborative and team-based.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s degree and seven years related fundraising experience.
• Supervisory experience required.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
• Corporate and Foundation Relations Manager
• Major Gifts Officer
• Membership Manager and Annual Giving Manager
• Development Research and Database Coordinator
• Development Associate
• Board Liaison and Special Projects Manager
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
100% normal office environment with average walking, standing, bending, stooping, crouching, sitting and computer and phone tasks required.
Occasional ability to lift up to 50 lbs needed and occasional travel and late nights required
Salary: Commensurate with Experience and Education
Qualified applicants please submit resume' to: firstname.lastname@example.org