Organization: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Position Title: Education Internship (Early Childhood) Reports To: Academic Programs Manager and Program Coordinators
Summary: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is looking for creative, enthusiastic, responsible and hardworking individual with a passion for Environmental Education and working with young children. Education interns take a leading role in all aspects of our program participants’ experience, teaching diverse audiences from toddlers to adults in the Zoo’s education programs which include early childhood programs, camps, tours, birthday parties and overnights. During educational programs, interns will provide a link between participants and nature, through experiences that inspire action, in support of the Zoo’s mission “to connect people with wildlife and wild places through experiences that inspire action.” This position includes extensive walking, spending time outside in all weather and working with children on a daily basis. Some heavy lifting and extended time standing may be required. The successful candidate for this position will have a personality and attitude that fosters a friendly environment by very proactively engaging our program participants and helps the Zoo achieve our vision: “Every kid. Every time. Goosebumps! Every kid of any age will have the experience of a lifetime with every visit.”
Early Childhood Program Intern:
We are looking for an intern to help us with our early childhood programs, school tours, overnights and birthday parties. This intern may also be asked to lead summer camp based on performance and availability, if the need arises. During the summer, hours can vary from 10-40 hours a week. The position will be evaluated in August at which point, the ideal candidate would be able to extend the internship through to May 2014.
Resumes Accepted: until position is filled
Due to our busy schedule during the summer, you must be available for all dates
Position Begins: May 27, 2013
Position will be re-evaluated for extension: mid August 2013
• 18 years of age
• Experience working with children (toddlers (1-2 year olds) through High School with emphasis on early childhood)
• Coursework in education (preferably early childhood), biology or related field
• Willingness to learn to work with a variety of animals including reptiles and invertebrates
• Successful completion of a background check
• First aid and CPR training required
• Must be available for all dates of internship; time off will only be granted for “once in a lifetime” events; i.e. weddings, births, funerals & emergencies
Responsibilities: To include but not limited to the following.
• Create and present exceptional and dynamic interpretive programs (formal and informal) featuring live animals, games, crafts and zoo hikes.
• Follow all safety guidelines and demonstrate the ability to make good decisions regarding the welfare of animals and participants
• Lead and supervise program participants, including children and adults, on a daily basis
• Complete internal training programs including animal handling training
• Assist in supervision of teen volunteers
• Maintain cleanliness and organization of program facilities
• Provide excellent and professional communication with all Cheyenne Mountain Zoo staff
• Identify and demonstrate conservation efforts for all education programs.
• Ability to multi-task and pay attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrate a positive attitude and ability to work as a team
Please answer the following questions in a maximum of 3-4 sentences each:
1. What role do you think zoos play in the community?
2. Why are you interested in being a part of the education team at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo?
3. Do you have or anticipate any conflicts with the schedule (i.e. vacation, different start date)?
4. Where did you hear about this internship?
Pay: Starting at $8.00/hr, interns are eligible for an end of summer bonus based on performance evaluation and availability
To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter (applicant must indicate interest in the Education Intern (Early Childhood) position), essay questions and 3 professional reference contacts to:
Meg McDaniel, Academic Programs Manager
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
4250 Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Rd
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org (No phone calls please)
Incomplete applications will not be considered.