Organization: Granby Zoo
Location: Granby, Quebec, Canada
Job or Internship: Job
Our client, the Granby Zoo, is a non-profit organisation celebrating its 60th anniversary this year. Firmly entrenched in the history and tourist landscape of Québec, the Zoo has established its identity as a recreation and tourism hub in the region, and throughout Québec. It welcomes about 665,000 visitors annually and has, over the years, kept pace with modern developments in the zoological field in order to attain the highest standards of quality. The Zoo’s mission is to provide visitors with a unique educational and recreational experience by close contact with mainly endangered or exotic animals, in the context of conservation and scientific development within a high-quality recreational facility. The Granby Zoo is the second institution in Québec and the fifth in Canada to be accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquarium (AZA – www.aza.org), the most prestigious and rigorous accreditation organisation in this domain worldwide. It is also accredited by Canada’s Accredited Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA – www.caza.ca) and is a member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA – www.waza.org), making it the only member in Québec and one of only three in Canada.
With an annual operating budget of about $22 million, the Zoo is self-financing at this level. With support from the public and private sectors, it has invested over $60 million in the past few years for the repair and modernisation of its equipment and infrastructure. The Zoo has about 100 permanent employees and annually hires about 450 seasonal workers.
More information on the Granby Zoo is available atwww.zoodegranby.com.
In order to maintain its positive financial position and the quality of its programs, our client is currently seeking a talented manager and leader as its next
Reporting to the Board of Directors and its Chair, you will be responsible for the overall operations of the Zoo and for ensuring sound human, financial and material resources management of the organisation. You will plan, organise, direct and supervise the main activities of the Zoo in collaboration with the service directors and other members of the management team, in accordance with the strategic guidelines adopted by the Board of Directors. You will make recommendations to the Board on its orientations as well as on all standards, policies and procedures designed to have a medium- to long-term positive impact on the organisation. In your role as spokesperson for the Zoo, you will participate actively in raising its profile and developing its network of partners. You will represent the Zoo during negotiations with external stakeholders and in the context of different events involving the general public and the Zoo’s partners, such as the associations to which it belongs and various levels of government. You will ensure strategic monitoring of the context in which the Zoo is evolving, while constantly paying attention to its operations, financial health and sustainability. You will pursue the Zoo’s missions of preservation, conservation and reproduction of endangered or vulnerable animal species, of scientific development and research, and of education and entertainment of the public.
Among the main challenges to be addressed will be the implementation of the strategic plan and the need to develop, in cooperation with selected partners, a research component that will enhance the mission and reputation of the Zoo. You will also be required to encourage various tourism initiatives essential to ensure the continued viability of the Zoo’s activities. You will assume responsibility for the technological update of the equipment and processes of the Zoo. Finally, you will lead an additional investment of $40 million, over the amount already invested, for the repair and renewal of the Zoo’s infrastructure and equipment.
Key Experience and Competencies
- Undergraduate university degree in a relevant discipline.
- Ten years’ experience in a senior management position, working with a Board of Directors; experience in a unionized structure similar to the Zoo’s would be an asset.
- Expertise in tourism.
- Ability and experience as a spokesperson.
- A modern, unifying and honest manager, known for his leadership, who knows how to voice his authority and make courageous decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate long-lasting business and financial partnerships, maintain a national and international network to raise the profile of the Zoo.
- Strong focus on client service and experience.
- Capacity to communicate effectively with all levels inside and outside of the organisation.
- Strategic vision and capacity to translate this vision in concrete projects and realisations.
- Solid financial management skills, both on the operating and capital investment sides.
- Expertise and experience in strategic planning.
- Contagious passion for the Zoo’s mission.
- Proven competency in risk management.
- Knowledge of the context in which the members of the national and international zoos and aquariums associations evolve (such as the AZA, AZAC and WAZA), as well as the challenges they face, would be an asset.
- Capacity to work effortlessly in French with ease and the ability to communicate fluently in English.
- If you believe you have the profile we are seeking, please forward your résumé with a letter explaining your interest by completing the “Registration Form”. All information received will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Our client is an equal opportunity employer.