Organization: Chimp Haven Inc.
Location: Keithville, LA, us
Job or Internship: Job
Chimp Haven is seeking a Vice President of Development and Communications with the proven ability to lead, direct and assist a development team in successfully advancing the organization at a local and national level.
Chimp Haven serves as the National Chimpanzee Sanctuary and is located in the northwest section of Louisiana near Shreveport. Chimp Haven provides excellent care for a large group of chimpanzees no longer used in research, as entertainers or as pets. Chimp Haven is AALAC accredited, USDA inspected and a member of the World Society for the Protection of Animals. Chimp Haven has a unique facility, experienced staff and high standards in all areas of operations. Chimp Haven offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, extensive training and an opportunity for professional advancement. This is an exempt position and provides a relocation allowance according to policy. Chimp Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• Provide leadership and oversight for all aspects of the development and communications department including the annual fund, major giving, gift planning, corporate and foundation support, external messaging and database management.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage department structure and staff and provide strong leadership and opportunities for professional development.
• Grow individual philanthropy, foundation and corporate support.
• Develop, execute, monitor and evaluate the development plan, ensuring targets are met.
• Partner with the President to plan and execute strategies for prospect/donor cultivation and solicitation.
• Cultivate, solicit, close and steward gifts from current and prospective donors, with an emphasis on growing major donor support.
• Develop and maintain relationships with local and national media.
• Oversee communications for donors through appeals, newsletters, publications, website and email alerts.
• Provide big-picture thinking, credibility and a compelling personality.
• Oversee special events, including planning and implementation.
• Implement policies and procedures for the department.
• Manage the department budget.
• Target, write and submit proposals to foundations and corporations.
• Work with Communications staff to identify opportunities to drive visibility and revenue generation.
• Gauge progress toward goals with monthly and annual reporting.
• Work cooperatively with other departments.
• Perform other duties as required.
Supervision and Responsibility
Manages all aspects of departmental staff including training.
Reports to top management.
Extensive knowledge and experience in a variety of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures.
Performs a variety of complicated tasks.
Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish departmental goals and improve productivity.
Recommends, plans and monitors long-term department objectives and policies.
Creativity, independent thinking and latitude are required.
Education and Experience Required
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
• Knowledge of best practice fundraising principles.
• A minimum of five years nonprofit fundraising experience at senior management level.
• History of success in organizational financial growth.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience using Raisers Edge® or similar databases.
Education and Experience Preferred
• Advanced degree.
• Experience with local and national media.
• A passion for wildlife and conservation.
• Experience with nonhuman primates and/or animal welfare helpful.
• A bold thinker with a bias to action.
• A can-do, high-energy, energizing approach with a compelling executive presence.
• An entrepreneurial streak.
• Openness to new ideas.
• Skilled at inspiring, influencing and engaging people.
• High emotional intelligence.
• An approach that is collegial, collaborative and accessible, yet self-confident and effective.
• The natural instinct to prioritize the organization over ego needs or personal agendas.
• Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
• A good sense of humor.
• Passion for the mission and purposes of Chimp Haven.
Other requirements and working conditions
• This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching and writing.
• Weekend, holiday and night work may be necessary.
• Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that may include hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
• Safety training will be provided.
Send cover letter, salary requirement, resume and writing sample to: email@example.com or fax resume to Human Resources Department @ 318-925-5600.