Organization: Virginia Living Museum
Location: Newport News, VA, us
Job or Internship: Job
The Virginia Living Museum is a combination nature center, zoo, aquarium and native garden located in southeastern Virginia. We display the flora and fauna of the state in natural habitats. This aquarist position is a full-time position with excellent benefits. General Statement Of Duties:
Under the supervision of the Aquarium Curator the full-time Aquarist will be responsible for the acquisition, husbandry and maintenance of the museum’s indoor aquatic habitats and aquatic program animals representing over 150 species of indigenous fish and invertebrates. Habitat sizes range from 30 to 30,000 gallons. The Aquarist will supervise and train other aquarist and volunteers to ensure the high quality appearance of all aquatic exhibits. Will be responsible for daily routines such as diet prep, feedings, water chemistry, filter cleaning, animal transport and acquisition. Will present public feeding programs and answer public inquires when requested. Professional experience in life support system design and installation, or the ability to learn these skills is highly desirable. Will be responsible for the aquarium department in the absence of the curator. Qualifications:
• B.S. Degree in Zoology, Biology, Marine Biology or related field coupled with experience.
• Two or more years experience in the collecting and maintaining of Mid-Atlantic fresh and saltwater fishes. Experience with sharks and sea turtles is desirable.
• Life support system experience with aquarium pumps, sand filters, UV sterilizers
and protein skimmers.
• Plumbing experience and tank repair skills.
• SCUBA certification.
• Skilled in the diagnosis and treatment of fish diseases.
• Water quality testing and record keeping skills.
• Ability to supervise the work of part-time staff and volunteers.
• Ability to communicate effectively with Curatorial Director, Aquarium Curator, co-workers, volunteers and the general public.
• Show initiative and the ability to work unsupervised.
• Ability to work mornings, weekends, holidays and be available for on-call emergencies.
• Ability to perform physical labor and lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly. Application Procedure:
Send cover letter and resume by April 7, 2013 to:
Virginia Living Museum
c/o George Mathews, Curatorial Director
524 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard
Newport News, Va. 23601