Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc,
Location: Houston, Tx, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering an opportunity for students to participate in an unpaid internship with the Special Events Department! This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside Special Events staff, develop important professional relationships and gain valuable experience!
• Assist with coordinating logistics for Houston Zoo Birthday parties, including submitting all necessary paperwork, procuring all supplies, and communicating with HZI staff and outside parties to ensure successful event.
• Assist with planning and execution of event.
• Assist with miscellaneous special projects.
• Serve as point-of-contact on-site at all of the above events, overseeing all deliveries, vendors, setup, and execution of event.
• Assist with developing sponsorship proposals for potential partners—help with research.
• Provide internal Special Events Department support as needed
• Assure complete, timely, accurate communication with internal and external parties
• Must be a self-starter.
• Effective project management skills essential.
• Able to multi-task essential.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products particularly Excel and Power Point.
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of research/analysis a plus.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Coursework in Marketing and/or Communications related field is preferred.
• The position involves minimal physical exertion, except when assisting the production of a special event or promotion. Walking, lifting and lots of time outside may be required on specific occasions.
• This position requires interns work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust. However, with the exceptions of special events, most opportunities are indoors.
Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli with in moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements.
Requires heavy public contact requiring considerable interpersonal and negotiation skills, extensive interaction with the public, some donors, members and the press, plus a large number of vendors and co-promotional partners.
• We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2013. Internships will begin on May 12th and run to August 25th (end date is flexible.)
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.