Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Tx, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering students opportunities to participate in unpaid internships with our Primates Department! This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside keepers, develop important professional relationships and gain valuable experience! Interns will also gain knowledge about zoo keeping techniques, primate behaviors, and watch animal training.
Successful candidates will participate in many aspects of husbandry including:
• diet preparation and feeding
• cleaning of animal exhibits and holding areas
• exhibit maintenance
• observing and recording animal condition, behaviors, and responses
• positive and educational interaction with zoo guests
• animal enrichment
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Coursework in biology or zoology/husbandry related field is preferred.
• Candidates do not need previous primate experience, but working in kennels or other animal facilities will be a plus.
• This position requires interns work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads, and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds).
• We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2013. Internships will begin on May 12th and run to August 25th (end date is flexible.)
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at email@example.com.