Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Tx, Country
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering an opportunity to participate in an unpaid internship in the Hoofed Stock Department! This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside keepers, develop important professional relationships and gain valuable experience! Intern will assist in the care of all the animals in the hoofed stock collection. From barn and exhibit cleaning to enrichment and training of the animals, this position will give real world experience in the field of zoo keeping. In addition to learning each routine’s duties, interns will gain knowledge of anatomy, behavior, reproduction, and the conservation status of each species.
Successful candidates will participate in many aspects of husbandry including:
• diet preparation and feeding
• cleaning of animal exhibits and holding areas
• exhibit maintenance
• observing and recording animal condition, behaviors, and responses
• positive and educational interaction with zoo guests
• animal enrichment
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 250 hour commitment.
• Complete a project of their choosing that will, in some way, benefit the hoofed stock team and/or animals.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Currently pursuing a career in an animal related field and be able to work at least three full days per week from 7-4pm.
• We welcome and prefer a hard-working and inquisitive individual who is adaptable and works well in a team setting.
• This position requires interns work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads, and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds).
• We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2013. Internships will begin on May 12th and run to August 25th (end date is flexible.)
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.