Organization: Brandywine Zoo
Location: Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Brandywine Zoo
Education Department Intern (unpaid)
Traveling Zoo Summer 2013
The Brandywine Zoo * 1001 North Park Drive * Wilmington, DE 19802
Brandywine Zoo is seeking a dynamic and engaging person to join our education team this summer! We are searching for a dedicated candidate to fill our Traveling Zoo Internship. This is a 4-5 days a week position working 8:00am-4:00pm. This person will serve as an offsite Educator and work as part of the Education Department at the Brandywine Zoo.
The role of the Traveling Zoo Intern is to lead and/or assist with informal and formal education opportunities offsite for the zoo during the summer. We are looking for an individual with great people skills (especially with children!), a self-starter, able to work as part of a team and independently, energetic, positive, creative, sense of humor, and has a passion for the environment! Traveling Zoo Interns are expected to be fun, safe, conscientious, and gets along well with others. Willingness to go through animal handling training and to handle reptiles and invertebrates is required.
• Traveling Zoo Interns should ideally be available mid-May through the end of August, but flexibility will be given with May and August. Applicant must be able to work on Wednesdays along with 2-4 other flexible weekdays (not required to work weekends).Some late afternoons may be required.
□ Must be 18 years or older
□ Must be registered at a two or four year college or university, or a recent graduate
□ Must be able to work on the weekends
□ Overall GPA must be 2.5 or higher
□ Proof of Negative TB Test
□ Good physical condition
□ Good organizational skills
Please note: This is an unpaid internship. We cannot provide housing.
• Assist/Lead program presentations
• Obtain accurate counts of program participants
• Aid in loading/unloading of program animals
• Assist in program scheduling
• Prepare and maintain educational biofacts
• Program writing
• Upkeep of zoo vehicle
o Making sure program vehicle is stocked with flyers and brochures
o Keeping vehicle clean and organized
1. Send current resume listing relevant experience. Please indicate what type of internship you are applying for: Traveling Zoo Internship.
2. Send cover letter that includes the following:
a. Start date and end date (please be as specific as possible)
b. Days of week available, hours available on those days
c. Why you want to work in the Brandywine Zoo’s Education Dept.
d. What you can bring to our zoo
e. What you hope to get out of this internship
3. Send to DNREC_Parks_ZooPrograms@state.de.us or fax to 302-577-7480.