Organization: Minnesota Zoological Garden
Location: Apple Valley , Minnesota, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Minnesota Zoo has a opening for a temporary Farm Keeper in the Farm exhibit. This position is responsible for professional animal care of the farm animal collection, as well as preparing and presenting interpretive programs and demonstrations.
Job Duties Include:
- Provide direct animal care to a specific portion of the Minnesota Zoo's exotic and domestic animal collection;
- Observe animal behaviors;
- Prepare and feed animal diets;
- Provide information to visitors;
- Assist with medical procedures, animal enrichment and behavior modification activities;
- Prepare and maintain detailed records;
- Maintain sanitary animal living conditions;
- Work as a team member and individually;
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
*Working days and hours will depend on the needs of the department. Shifts consist of four ten hour days.
This position starts in March and ends October. Days and hours of work may vary according to need.
NOTE: Please ensure that your resume contains descriptions of your work experiences sufficient for comparison against the requirements stated below.
Minimum qualifications include either:
A) One year of experience as a full-time animal attendant in a zoo or farm park; OR
B) Two years of experience in a commercial livestock operation involving responsibility for maintaining production and growth efficiency records and aiding in the implementation of selective breeding programs, diet formulation, and feeding and sanitation practices; OR
C) Two years of experience as a veterinary technician involving the restraint and medical treatment of large domestic animals.
Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
In addition to your resume, please use the Job Specific Question section of the application to write a brief description of your experience in each of the following areas in order to be considered:
- Experience on a modern dairy farm
- Implementing interpretive programming
- Husbandry and reproduction of domestic farm animals
- Artificial insemination
- Crop planting, cultivation, and harvesting
- Repair and maintenance of farm equipment or machinery
Degree in Agriculture, Biology, Zoology, Wildlife Management, Environmental or Agricultural Education, Ecology, or closely related discipline.
Successful completion of an internship program in an AZA zoo or farm park.
Experience in a commercial crop operation involving the cultivation, maintenance, and harvest of seed or fruit-bearing plants.
How to Apply:
Create a profile at www.careers.state.mn.us and apply to the job posting.
Please contact the Assistant Human Resouces Director at Tresa.Fasnacht@state.mn.us