Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering an opportunity to participate in an unpaid internship in the Education Department – Interpretive Intern! Through scripts, songs, games, storytelling, comedy, puppetry, improvisation and physical theater the Interpretive Intern provides and implements exciting, fun, recreational and educational opportunities regarding natural sciences. (zoology, ecology, conservation and animal husbandry)
• Develops and implements interpretive presentations and activities for pre-school to adult seniors to promote an understanding of and appreciation for the Zoo and the natural world.
• Assists with the scheduling and delivery of interpretive presentations and activities on a timely and routine basis.
• Assists with the marketing of interpretation presentations and activities to reach desired target audiences.
• Prepares and maintains necessary materials for use in interpretive presentations.
• Helps to maintain facilities used for on-site programs and activities.
• Assists in the development of presentation curriculum to include, but not limited to, age appropriate conservation messages.
• May handle live animals for presentations and activities.
• Will be required to work weekends.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Experience working with live animals desired. One year experience performing and or presenting individually or with a partner/group in a private and/or public venue desired.
• Applicant must be a colledge student and posess the basic knowledge of acting and performing is desired.
• There are routine discomforts from exposure to moderate heat, cold, moisture/wetness and unpleasant air conditions. The position may involve routine exposure to light chemical substances such as cleaning solutions.
• The intern must have a high degree of appreciation of customer service and considerable interpersonal skills. The applicant must be comfortable with heavy public contact, extensive interaction with the public, donors, members, and the press. Requires the ability to perform interact and respond to crowds of various sizes, ages and ethnicities. Most presentations occur on stage but the ability to perform in a variety of venues is desired.
• This position involves routine lifting of moderately heavy items such as tables, chairs, animal kennels or boom boxes (up to 40 pounds).Standing for extended periods of time and walking on rough surfaces on a routine basis.
• We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2013. Internships will begin on May 12th and run to August 25th (end date is flexible.)
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/.
Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.