Organization: Chicago Zoological Society-Brookfield Zoo
Location: Brookfield, Illinois, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Chicago Zoological Society, which manages Brookfield Zoo, is currently accepting applications for our College Experiential Learning Opportunities (CELO) program.
Please visit the following site for specific details on applying and contact email@example.com with any other questions you may have: (http://www.czs.org/czs/Educational-Programs/Internships.aspx)
Chicago Zoological Society is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer - M/F/V/D
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply and to identify themselves.
Title Keeper Intern-Veterinary Services
This position contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by providing technical and medical support to the veterinary staff for the care provided to the animal collection and hospitalized
patients. This position also assists the Veterinary Services Department and the Chicago Zoological Society in creating innovations and excellence in conservation leadership and animal welfare by enabling the Veterinary Services Department to meet the
most current standards for specialized veterinary care.
1. * Assist in preparation for surgical procedures and assist
veterinary staff in performing surgical procedures. Assist in
performing cleaning, disinfection and sterilization of the
surgical suite, surgical instruments, and equipment. (15%)
2. *Under the direct supervision of the Lead Keeper/Assistant Lead
Keeper or Senior keeper, create and maintain accurate medical
record documentation that is required during an animal procedure
or prescription request. (15%)
3. *Communicate regularly with hospital supervisors/managers
regarding animal medical and husbandry management including
but not limited to medical procedures, nutrition, training, and
behavioral enrichments. (15%)
4. *Assist in maintaining drug and medical supplies and inventory
maintenance. Maintain current pharmacy, treatment areas,
animal, and equipment inventory as directed (10%)
5. *Under direct supervision of the Lead Keeper/Assistant Lead
Keeper or Senior Keeper administer medications and
vaccinations as directed by veterinarians. (10%)
6. *Under direct supervision of the Lead Keeper/Assistant Lead
Keeper or Senior Keeper assist in the operation and maintenance
of radiographic equipment. Conduct diagnostic radiography,
including positioning of the patient, exposure, and development
of radiographs. (10%) 7. *Under direct supervision of associate veterinarians, maintain and
monitor anesthesia, including the operation of inhalation
anesthesia equipment and patient monitoring devices. (10%)
8. Under necessary conditions, assist with sample preparation, clean
animal enclosures, pools, and service areas as required. Other
related duties as assigned. (10%)
9. Other related duties as assigned. (5%)
• Graduation from an AVMA certified school of veterinary
• Animal care facility, farm, or equivalent experience required.
Relevant experience working at the Chicago Zoological Society a
• Technical skills are required including proficient restraint, sample
collection techniques, patient monitoring, and intravenous catheter
placement with domestic animals required.
• Ability to learn infection control and quarantine practices.
• Current knowledge of veterinary medical practices, animal
anatomy and physiology, basic pharmacology and principles of
• Knowledge of natural history, principles of animal behavior and
• Must be able to work with animals safely.
• Knowledge of sterile techniques and surgical equipment cleaning
and sterilization preferred.
• Under direction must be able to deliver various medications
through standard practices.
• Solid communication and interpersonal skills required.
• Good decision-making skills and sound judgment required.
• Must demonstrate proficiency in perceiving and acting upon
relevant changes in animal behaviors and conditions.
• Incumbent must demonstrate the ability to accurately perform job
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality with regard to animal
matters, personnel and other privileged information.
• Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a
diverse, multicultural audience. Multi-lingual ability and Spanish
fluency a plus. • Valid driver’s license required. Illinois residents must possess a
valid Illinois license within 90 days of hire. Valid out-of-state
license required for out-of-state residents.
This position description summarizes the primary duties and functions
of the position, but should not be considered a complete listing of
every duty the incumbent may ever be called upon to perform.
Incumbent must represent the Society in a professional manner at all
times. Veterinary technicians are frequently subjected to potential
hazards that include direct contact with or close proximity to live
animals. Incumbent must possess knowledge of occupational hazards
and safe work practices around such hazards.
These positions are physically demanding, and employees may be
subjected to a variety of physical demands and environmental factors
and exposures. This job description contains the primary duties and
responsibilities of the position, but in no way implies that these are
the only duties the employee may ever be called upon to perform.
• Responsibility for Society Property: Incumbent is responsible
for the care and proper use of equipment and property.
• Responsibility for Safety of Others: Incumbent is responsible
for the safety of guests, animals, employees, interns, volunteers,
etc., as instructed. Must be alert to hazards and potential hazards
and take action to remedy or report these as appropriate.
• Contacts: Primary contacts include Society staff, professional
associates, volunteers, docents, interns, and guests.
• Qualifications and Characteristics: Incumbent must possess a
genuine interest in animals and their welfare. Must work
cooperatively and follow appropriate communication channels.
Must possess ability to adjust quickly to changes. Must
understand, or quickly acquire understanding of how department
interfaces with Society-wide operations. Incumbent must possess
or acquire knowledge of Chicago Zoological Society, the mission,
policies and procedures, and incorporate into daily