Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc,
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering an opportunity to participate in an unpaid internship in the Education Department! This position is responsible for assisting the Houston Zoo’s Education Department in implementing a fun and exciting recreational and educational summer program for children ages 4-12. The programs will be based on topics relating to natural sciences (zoology, ecology, conservation and animal husbandry) with the purpose of igniting in all people a passion for learning and conservation.
This internship requires a minimum commitment of 200 hours throughout the duration of the camp program which runs June 10 – August 16. Interns are primarily responsible for live animal presentations, greeting campers and families, supervising campers, completing administrative tasks, and substitute teaching where needed.
• Minimum commitment of 200 hours from June 10 – August 16 required (orientation in mid-May).
• Must work in full day increments
• 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
• Attendance at camp training required.
• 5-9 p.m. on Wednesday, May 29 AND Thursday, May 30
• Attendance at animal handling training required.
• 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 29
• 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 30
• Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in the pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree in Education, Zoology, Biology, or related field required. Career changers also welcome. Strong interest and/or background in science or education required.
• Two years experience working with children and live animals desired.
• This position requires considerable flexibility and patience. Candidates must also be able to work well both independently and cooperatively in a positive, team-oriented environment.
• Assist with preparation and break-down of facilities and materials used in camp programs
• Assist Zoo staff members with administrative responsibilities pertaining to Camp Zoofari including check-in, cleaning and organizing camp supplies, updating letters or other camp information, and photographing camp groups and activities for use in the website or other publications.
• Lead live animal presentations to campers (includes handling of animals, training provided).
• Assist teachers with the implementation of summer camp programs including leading camp groups on Zoo grounds, assisting with and/or teaching portions of camp curriculum.
• Complete project pertaining to area of interest upon completion of internship.
• Attend continuing education opportunities as required by Houston Zoo internship guidelines.
• This position requires interns to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2013. Internships will begin on May 12th and run to August 25th.
To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.