Organization: Seattle Aquarium
Location: Seattle, Washington, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Various. The Aquarium is open seven days a week. Interpretive shifts vary in length from 4 to 8 hours between the hours of 8:30 am and 7:30 pm. This position will regularly fill weekend shift openings, but weekday shifts will also be available. Preference will be given to applicants who are available to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, March to mid-September.
Dated Needed: March 1, 2013
The Seattle Aquarium is nonprofit, 501c3, owned by the City of Seattle. The Aquarium currently serves over 825,000 visitors and 40,000 school children and their teachers annually. Guided by the mission of Inspiring Conservation of our Marine Environment, the Seattle Aquarium has a realistic plan for phased growth based on record-setting attendance, membership and fundraising growth, an energized Board and professional management. The current annual budget is $12 million.
Position Overview: Marine Science Interpreters are the leads in the exhibits at the Seattle Aquarium, overseeing the interpretation volunteers, leading volunteer enrichments, and interpreting the exhibits to Aquarium guests both informally and during formal interpretive presentations.
Primary job functions:
• Supervise interpretation volunteers, including some training and evaluation of the volunteers performance.
• Prepare and deliver formal interpretive talks to Aquarium visitors and school/tour groups.
• Interpret Aquarium exhibits to visitors on an informal, one-on-one basis.
• Coordinate feedings with Biologists as needed, interpretive talks and communicate openly with coworkers from all Aquarium departments.
• Some administrative work such as record-keeping for animal care, volunteer activities, etc.
• Assist with maintenance of props, exhibits, and office/lounge spaces
• Other projects as assigned
Special Knowledge, Skills, Training
• Minimum 2 years academic experience in education, biology, environmental science or similar field, preferred BA/BS degree.
• Minimum of 2 years experience working in an aquarium, zoo, environmental education center or similar institution required. Previous experience supervising volunteers preferred.
• Excellent oral, presentation, and written communication skills.
• Excellent leadership abilities willingness and ability to take charge as needed.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Familiarity with MS Office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook. Familiarity, or ability to learn volunteer databases (Volgistics).
• Knowledge of marine science and conservation.
• Ability to change priorities in a rapidly changing work environment.
• Team player with a healthy sense of humor.
Education Preferred: Degree in education, biology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
• Must be able and comfortable talking with and presenting to both large groups and individuals. Use of microphone and other voice enhancing equipment.
• Must be able to walk and stand for extended periods of time
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
• Occasional extended exposure to outside weather conditions
• Must be available to work from March 1- September 15. Flexible schedule required, this position will regularly be assigned to work both Saturday and Sunday.
Salary and Benefits: $14.50/hour, hours vary week to week. Temporary position and not eligible for benefits.
How to Apply: To apply please send a one page letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Application review will begin immediately.