Organization: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Position Title: Zoo Crew Supervisor (Paid) –
Reports To: Volunteer Services Manager
Summary: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is looking for a creative, enthusiastic, mature, responsible and hardworking individual with a passion in conservation education and working with teens in the outdoors. Zoo Crew Supervisors take a leading role in all aspects of our program participants’ experience, as mentors, role models and educators. Throughout the summer, Zoo Crew Supervisors will inspire teens to take action on behalf of conservation both on and off zoo grounds in support of the Zoo’s mission “to connect people with wildlife and wild places through experiences that inspire action.” This position includes extensive walking, spending time outside in all weather and working with teens on a daily basis. Some heavy lifting and extended time standing may be required.
The position will vary from 24-32 hours a week during the summer STARTING MAY 1, 2013.
Responsibilities: To include but not limited to the following
• Responsible for the activities, training and evaluation of Zoo Crew members
• Assist Volunteer Services Manager in conducting interviews of teens
• Assist in the orientation and training days for teens and parents
• Ensure a fun, safe, educational and quality program for the teens involved
• Foster a respectful, caring, and professional attitude in teen participants
• Supervise teens and assist them in growing in their interactions with others
• Assist the Volunteer Services Manager in planning the summer’s activities and educational experiences
• Co-lead outdoor adventure and service trips around Southern Colorado
• Maintain cleanliness and organization of Education facilities
• Follow all safety guidelines and demonstrate the ability to make good decisions regarding the welfare of participants and animals
• Assist with preparation of new programs
• Provide excellent and professional communication with all Cheyenne Mountain Zoo staff, volunteers and guests
• Ability to multi-task and pay attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to interact with the public in an engaging and welcoming manner
• Ability to connect with teens and act as a mentor
• Ability to work as an effective team member as well as function independently
• Must be able to act in a responsible and mature manner, using common sense
• Ability to remain calm and think rationally under pressure
• Ability to navigate the terrain of the Zoo, which includes walking outside, on steep terrain and in all weather conditions
• This position is very physically demanding:
- Must be on your feet almost the entire time and be able to climb hills
- Must be able to lift and carry 20-50 pounds
Minimum Requirements: Experience and/or strong interest in supervising teens on a daily basis; Experience and/or strong interest in outdoor recreation; Coursework in environmental education, biology or related field; strong communication skills; motivation and positive attitude to assertively engage all guests; successful completion of a background check and first aid and CPR training required. Must be at least 18 years of age.
Pay: $8.50-9.00/hr based on experience
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, 3 reference and essay questions to:
Volunteer Services Manager
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
4250 Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Rd
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org (No phone calls please)
Please answer the following questions in a maximum of 3-4 sentences each:
1. What role do you think Zoo’s play in the community?
2. How have your experiences with outdoor recreation affected your relationship with nature?
3. Do you have or anticipate any conflicts with the schedule (i.e. vacation(s), start date)?
4. Do you have any concerns about meeting the requirements in this job description?
Accepting applications January 2013-March 2013