Organization: Alaska SeaLife Center
Location: Seward, AK, United States
Job or Internship: Job
This position is responsible for assisting with the Captive Steller Sea Lion Research at the Alaska SeaLife Center.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
1. Assists captive research projects, including a study on maternal investment. This may include monitoring captive Steller sea lions on display and by operating remote video cameras from an office setting.
2. Assists with captive and wild pinniped research projects including sample collection, data collection, data entry, sample handling and sample processing.
3. Assists with husbandry duties as assigned. This includes food prep, pool maintenance, sample collection. This will not include direct animal care or feeding.
4. Follows established guidelines for sample collection, record keeping, and preservation. Follows laboratory protocols for standard operating procedures, safety, and cleanliness.
5. Conducts and records breeding behaviors, animal presence/absence, aggression and copulation. This will include overnight and weekend observations.
6. Provides interpretation to visitors when working in a public display area.
7. Assists with other research projects conducted at the Alaska SeaLife Center as requested.
8. Assists with studies in the field as assigned which may require extended stays in remote locations with few basic amenities.
A bachelor’s degree in biology, marine biology, zoology, or related field with two years experience in a similar position is preferred. Experience in biological observational or field studies, scientific writing and photo identification of marine mammals preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be accepted.
This is a three (3) month seasonal position.
Start date: May 15, 2013 End Date: August 15, 2013
Apply by: March 15, 2013
Send resume & application (downloadable at www.alaskasealife.org) to HR@alaskasealife.org, or to Human Resources, Alaska SeaLife Center, P. O. Box 1329, Seward, AK 99664-1329, or fax 907-224-6320.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer