Organization: Potter Park Zoo
Location: Lansing, MI, United States
Job or Internship: Job
CURATOR-POTTER PARK ZOO
Annual Salary: $54, 531
Application Deadline: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Required Documents: Resume, cover letter, copy of college transcripts and application.
INGHAM COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
CURATOR- POTTER PARK ZOO
General Summary: Under the supervision of the Zoo Director, responsible for planning, supervising and directing the work regarding the care, display, propagation and procurement of the Zoo’s animal collection. Serves as the Zoo’s representative for all AZA SSP animal programs. Supervises Zookeepers who handle the day-to-day animal feeding and care. Collaborates with management on exhibit designs and renovations. Plays a role in the Emergency Response Team and the Zoo’s Safety Committee. Essential Functions:1. Oversees the acquisition, husbandry, enrichment and display of the Zoo’s animal collection. Participates in the development and implementation of the zoo’s animal collection plan. 2. Oversees the maintenance of all non-medical animal related records and all daily animal reports.
3. Serves as the institutional representative for the AZA Species Survival Plans.
4. Oversees the hiring, supervision and disciplining of non-medical personnel. Schedules, assigns and directs all non-medical personnel involved in the care of the animal collection.
5. Provides training and work direction to Zookeepers and maintenance staff regarding the care of animals and the maintenance of zoo exhibits. 6. Collaborates with staff regarding the design and maintenance of exhibits, grounds and facilities.
7. Has a role in the Emergency Response Team and Safety Committee. Coordinates and assists in emergency situations involving animals.
8. Assists with public relation functions including lectures/facility zoo tours. Other Functions: Performs other duties as assigned. Must adhere to departmental standards in regard to HIPAA and other privacy issues. (An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the above tasks. These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree is required. A strong preference is given for a degree in Zoology or a related field.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in the care of zoo animals and facilities at an AZA accredited institution is required.
Other Requirements: Must posses a valid Michigan’s driver’s license. Must pass a pre-employment physical exam and submit to a tuberculosis test. Must be current or willing to become current on vaccinations including tetanus and rabies pre-exposure within 30 days of employment. (The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria)
Physical Requirements: Ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, stretch, bend, crouch, stoop, climb and reach in various body positions. Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds on a regular basis and 75 pounds occasionally. Ability to communicate and respond to co-worker and customer inquiries both in person and over the phone. Ability to operate a PC/laptop and to enter & retrieve information from a computer.(This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the requirements listed above. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements.)
Working Conditions: Work is performed indoors and outdoors with regular exposure to extreme temperatures, strong odors and high levels of noise. Exposure to tight spaces, slippery floors, moving mechanical parts and cleaning compounds. Exposure to potential hazards when feeding, handling, caring and moving animals. Protective gear is required for certain job duties.
How to Apply: For more information visit us at http://pe.mi.ingham.org/Home/CurrentJobOpening.aspx or send resume, cover letter, college transcripts and application via:Mail:5303 S. Cedar Street, Suite 2102, Lansing MI 48911 Hand Deliver:8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday-FridayFax: 517 887-4396Email: HR@ingam.org