Organization: Nashville Zoo
Location: Nashville, TN, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Under general supervision, employee will perform a wide range of functions in the Mammal Department at the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere. Primary responsibility is to feed, clean, and maintain assigned collection animals; animal exhibits, yards, night enclosures, and contiguous areas; perform light exhibit construction; operate zoo vehicles; maintain integrity of existing landscape. Additionally, employee will be responsible for educating the public through keeper talks and other impromptu educational sessions as well as providing a clean and safe atmosphere for families to enjoy the Nashville Zoo.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare food and water for collection animals by cutting and measuring diet portions
• Feed collection animals
• Monitor assigned animals closely with regard to general appearance, diet consumption levels, condition of fecal matter, etc.
• Maintain feed intake records
• Maintain a keeper log book
• Record daily observations pertaining to the health and behavior of Mammal Department animals on a Daily Report to be submitted to the Area Supervisor
• Clean animal exhibits, yards, pools, night enclosures, and service areas
• Participate in capturing, incapacitating, and moving animals
• Assists Veterinarian staff in the treatment of collection animals
• Provide exhibit security and take appropriate actions to prevent vandalism and maltreatment of animals and facilities by the public.
• Clean and disinfect utensils, work tools, and containers
• Maintain plant life in and around enclosures
• Perform minor or routine maintenance of enclosures and report all other maintenance needs to supervisors
• Operate a variety of light and medium equipment
• Participate in daily keeper talks designed to educate the Mammal Department’s animal collection
• Respond to questions from the public concerning the animals and exhibits
• Model the Zoo’s image and code of professional ethics in words and actions at all times
General knowledge of:
• Animal behavior
• Care, feeding, and handling of exotic and domestic animals
• Safety practices around exotic and domestic animals
• Animal biology or zoology or other related field
• Techniques for restraining and capturing exotic and domestic animals
• Completely performing the responsibilities outlined in the “Duties and Responsibilities” section
• Monitoring animal behavior and appearance
• Operating motorized vehicles and equipment; applicant must possess a valid driver’s license
• Taking and following work instructions
• Working in a team oriented atmosphere
• Effectively communicating with coworkers and supervisors
• Interacting and communicating with the general public in an appropriate manner
Must be able to work outside year-round under typical Tennessee weather conditions and temperatures for extended periods of time. Must be able to work in uneven terrain with exposure to varying weather conditions, dust, and allergens. Must be able to move about on slippery surfaces, handle toxic and hazardous materials and work in cramped and confined spaces. Must be able to lift and carry materials up to 75 pounds.
Must have a college degree (Associate’s or Bachelor’s) in an applicable field: Animal Science, Biology, Zoology, etc.
Applicants for this position are required to submit to a criminal background check and pass a drug test.
Applicant may be required to work any combination of five days in the seven day workweek including holidays.
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to:
Ungulate Area Supervisor
No phone calls please.