Organization: Indianapolis Zoo
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Indianapolis Zoo is a national leader of animal conservation and one of the top tourist destinations in Indiana. We operate as a private, not-for-profit organization. In addition to our animal exhibits, gardens, and aquarium, we support local and international animal conservation efforts.
We have a full-time opportunity for a Coordinator of Volunteer Services, a position that demands a strong working knowledge of volunteerism, interviewing experience, and outstanding organizational skills. The Office of Volunteer Services, a division of the Zoo’s Human Resource department, supports over 600 volunteers in our Adult, Intern, and Zoo Teen programs.
A customer service oriented, patient, flexible “people person” describes the ideal candidate for our opportunity. The Coordinator answers phones and emails, responds to information requests promptly, and assists with the recruitment, selection, scheduling, motivation, and recognition of volunteers.
Requirements of the position include:
• A minimum two (2) years of professional work experience in volunteer services or human resources.
• Must have a valid Indiana driver’s license, and have a driving record that is insurable by the Zoo’s insurer.
• Week-end and evening work is required.
• Though most work is conducted in an office environment, the job does require walking around the Zoo in outside environmental conditions.
• A High School Diploma or G.E.D is required. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field (business, psychology, human resources, sociology) from an accredited institution is strongly preferred.
• A completed on-line application, including an attached cover letter and resume.
• The names and contact information of three (3) professional references. Preferably references are current or former supervisors, or someone who can speak knowledgeably about your work, abilities, and skills. Please do not list relatives and friends.
• Good working knowledge of software and databases, preferably Volgistics, Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal, organizational, and writing skills.
The Zoo offers a competitive benefit package (medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 403b) after 90 days of employment. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Please include compensation requirement in your attached cover letter, or enter it on the online application.
Successfully passing pre-employment testing, including drug test, driving record check and criminal history check is a condition of employment. The Indianapolis Zoo is a Drug Free/Smoke free, equal opportunity employer.
Application deadline is December 31, 2012.
Mailed, faxed, or delivered applications are not accepted. Only online applications are considered. Interested candidates may apply online for this position at: