Organization: Tulsa Zoo Management Inc.
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Tulsa Zoo Management Inc. is seeking a new team member for the position of full time keeper/sea lion trainer. The new Helmerich Sea Lion Cove area opened spring of 2012 and features a new sea lion exhibit, holding and life support building. This qualified individual must work well as a member of a team as well as individually with minimal supervision. The individual should have a desire to daily interact and educate our visitors.
• Maintain, train and document husbandry and presentation behaviors for sea lion collection or other animals as assigned.
• Present daily animal presentations and behind the scenes tours educating the public with approved institutional information.
• Show good judgment and observational skills in potentially stressful situations.
• Participate in all areas of marine mammal husbandry and programming.
• Maintain cleanliness of exhibit and surrounding areas according to established protocols.
• Perform regular scuba or hookah diving while using power scrubbers underwater as part of the maintenance of the exhibit.
• Prepare food and food records according to organizational guidelines and USDA standards.
• Prepare, implement and document environmental enrichment.
• Communicate to supervisor any health, behavioral or water quality concerns in an immediate manner.
• Abide by all zoo policies and procedures as described in the Zoo Employee Manual.
• Maintain consistent professional attitude, motivation and ability to accept criticism.
• Assist in other areas and related responsibilities within the zoo as assigned by supervisor to accomplish departmental objectives.
• A Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology, psychology with preference given to applicants with 1-3 years paid experience with marine mammals (ideally pinnipeds).
• Excellent public speaking skills and ability to deliver high energy educational presentations, animal encounters and tours.
• Knowledge and use of advanced operant conditioning technique as it applies to marine mammals specifically pinnipeds.
• Ability to notice precursors of animal aggression and specific training techniques to reduce it.
• Working knowledge of water chemistry and life support systems as they relate to marine mammal exhibits.
• Physical requirements include SCUBA certification, ability to lift 50lbs, walk on uneven surfaces and work in all weather conditions.
• Must be able to work overtime, weekends and holidays.
• Understands the physical and health related risks inherent to working with zoo animals.
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, list of three references and contact information to Marcie Tarvid at Mtarvid@tulsazoo.org or mail to 5701 E. 36th St. North, Tulsa, OK 74115. No phone calls please.