Organization: Miller Park Zoo
Location: Bloomington, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
MILLER PARK ZOO
ANIMAL CARE INTERNSHIP
The Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington, Illinois is offering an opportunity for education and experience for tomorrow’s workforce. The Miller Park Zoo has several internship opportunities available to those interested in pursuing a career in Animal Care and Zoo Management.
General Statement of Duties
The Animal Care Intern is responsible for assisting the Zookeeper in the daily care and feeding of zoo animals including the cleaning and maintenance of buildings, grounds, and exhibits.
• Assist Zookeepers with daily care of the animals in their exhibit and holding areas. Maintains exhibits and holding areas in a clean and presentable condition at all times.
• Assist in the observation of the animal collection for signs of illness, general lethargy, injury, and dietary problems.
• Must have the ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Must be able to climb ladders/stairs/fences, lift and carry crates/animals/feed weighing 70lbs., operate mowers, operate weed eaters, load and operate wheel barrows loaded up to 150 lbs., be agile and flexible to maneuver in and around animals within exhibits and holding areas.
• May be asked to complete season long project as assigned by Zoo Staff.
• Responsible for other duties as assigned by Zoo Staff. Must have strong communication skills as speaking with the general public is required.
Health and Safety
• Must maintain current tetanus vaccination (5 years) and be willing to have annual TB test screening done.
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 70 lbs.
• Requires a high school diploma or GED certificate; Prefer candidates that are pursuing a degree in a zoological related field;
• Must be able to work weekends and holidays as assigned
• Must commit to a schedule
This internship is unpaid and no housing is provided.
Now accepting applications for the 2013 Spring school year.
If interested send cover letter, resume and unofficial transcripts no later than 16 November 2012 to:
Jonathan Reding, Zoo Curator
Miller Park Zoo
1020 S. Morris Avenue
Bloomington, IL 67101