Organization: Jacksonville Zoological Society
Location: Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens is currently recruiting for a full time Herpetology Keeper with responsibilities focused on reptiles and amphibians but including fish and invertebrates as well.
Duties will include inspection, feeding, cleaning and maintenance of the collection and exhibits. Must have good observation, record keeping, and communication skills, and be able to interact positively with the public, volunteers and co-workers. Assists in the selection, training, supervision, evaluation, and assignment of volunteers as needed. Prepares and follows prescribed diets and feeding procedures and performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor. Proficiency in working with venomous reptiles, amphibians is strongly preferred.
Applicants must be able to lift 50 lbs. without difficulty, be able to work in adverse weather conditions including rain, heat, and cold, be able to traverse zoo grounds on foot, be able to stoop, bend, lift, kneel, crawl, climb, jump, rake, sweep and carry objects for short distances, possess visual acuity appropriate for animal care and general safety practices, be able to remain on feet for long periods of time, and be able to lift and reach overhead.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Minimum of a college degree and 3 years of experience in an AZA facility
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment to evaluate each animal’s health, diet, behavior, and any emergency situations that arise.
• Working knowledge of zoonotic diseases and their prevention.
• Working knowledge of the principles of captive reptile/amphibian management venomous reptile experience and the ability to handle venomous reptiles in a safe and professional manner is required.
• Valid drivers’ license.
In addition to the salary, the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens offers all full time employees a competitive benefits package including free medical, dental and life insurance for the employee, paid time off, 403B Retirement Plan, Zoo Membership, discounts at the Zoo and uniforms.
EOE / DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Please submit your resume in Word format via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the position title “Herpetology Keeper” in the "subject" line.