Organization: Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium
Location: Tacoma, WA, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Rocky Shores/Marine Mammal internship program at Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium is designed to provide individuals with practical learning experience while gaining valuable knowledge related to his/her career goals. Requests for internship positions are evaluated on experience - professional and/or volunteer, academic achievement, interview success, and positions available.
This is an in-depth program requiring a 32 to 40 hour per week commitment, for a minimum of 10 to 12 weeks. Interns must be flexible with their schedule, and have the ability to work weekdays, weekends and holidays. It is an unpaid position and there is no housing provided. We will do everything possible to accommodate school requirements for those who can earn class credit for internships.
Please visit the internship page of our website for a more detailed position description.
To apply for an internship at the Rocky Shores area at Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium you must:
1. Be currently enrolled in a college or university, or have recently graduated from a college or university
2. Have a minimum of one year of course work in a major field of study to be applied during the internship (e.g. biology, zoology, animal behavior, psychology, etc.)
3. Be capable of the physical abilities required to work with animals (i.e. lift 50 pounds, etc.)
4. Submit an application. (available on the Internship page at www.pdza.org)
5. Submit a cover letter (including your career goals)
6. Submit a resume
7. Submit two letters of recommendation from an advisor or supervisor
8. Undergo a phone or on site interview
9. Be willing to commit to a minimum of 400 hours (32 –40 hours a week) for at least 10 weeks
Please mail OR email completed application materials to: email@example.com
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Internship Program Coordinator – Education Department
5400 North Pearl Street
Tacoma, WA 98407
Please note: Incomplete application packets will not be considered. However, letters of recommendation may be sent separately.