AZA can provide in-depth demographic information regarding annual and time-specific visitation to its member zoos and aquariums as well as demographics regarding income, age, education level, household income, and ethnicity.
Who is visiting the zoo?
- Over 175 million annual visitors - more visitors than NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB annual attendance combined
- Visitors are primarily:
- women / mothers
- Age 25-35
- HHI $50,000 - $75,000
- Two out of three adults visits a zoo or aquarium with a child
- Average visit is four hours
- Paid memberships to AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums - 9.4 million members
- Repeat visitors to zoos and aquariums - 3.6 million households
Zoos and aquariums enjoy overwhelming popularity
- 93% agree their family enjoys seeing animals up close at zoos and aquariums
- 94% feel that zoos and aquariums teach children about how people can protect animals and the habitats they depend on
- 79% feel better about companies that support wildlife conservation at zoos and aquariums
- 66% are more likely to buy products and services from those companies