Organization: Chimp Haven
Location: Keithville, LA, us
Job or Internship: Job
Chimp Haven is currently seeking an EDUCATION SPECIALIST – COORDINATOR. Chimp Haven serves as the National Chimpanzee Sanctuary and is located in the northwest section of Louisiana near Shreveport. Chimp Haven provides excellent care for a large group of chimpanzees no longer used in research, as entertainers or as pets. Chimp Haven is AALAC accredited, USDA inspected and a member of World Society for the Protection of Animals. Chimp Haven has a unique facility, experienced staff and high standards in all areas of operations. Chimp Haven offers a competitive salary commensurate with education and experience, excellent benefits, relocation allowance according to company policy and extensive training and an opportunity for professional advancement. Chimp Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Title Class: Education Specialist - Coordinator
Descriptive Title: Education Specialist - Coordinator
Shift: Normally days, but night and weekend work may be required.
FLSA: Normally exempt
Risk Level: 1
- Provide learning opportunities to local, national and international audiences.
- Works under general supervision to little supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate activities of the education program, including volunteers, events and classroom education programs.
- Maintain schedule of events.
- Communicate with partners, vendors, and donors.
- Management of volunteers, including computer database entry, communications, scheduling and training.
- Write curriculum for classroom education.
- Assist with education program fundraising activities including education fundraising events and grant writing.
- May assist in training volunteers and interns.
- Coordinate education events with other departments.
- Order supplies and maintain inventory.
- Make recommendations for improving education program.
- Update education website
- Serve on or may chair education committee.
- May assist with outreach efforts.
- Implement public education days, school programs, internship program and other education initiatives.
- Assist with development and implementation of policies and procedures for the education department.
- Generate goals and strategies to achieve goals in line with Chimp Haven’s Board of Directors.
- Perform other duties as required.
Supervision and Responsibility
- Works under general supervision of senior management yet may require little direct supervision.
- Does not normally supervise other staff, but may serve as team or group leader.
- Assists with training new employees.
- May supervise volunteers.
- Knowledgeable about area of specialization, including concepts, practices and procedures. Relies on pre-established guidelines and experience to plan and accomplish goals.
- Exercises judgment to make recommendations for improvement.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Seven years work experience in education or training required.
- A combination of 11 years experience and education in related field can be considered.
Education and Experience Preferred
- Teaching certificate preferred.
- Nine years work experience in education or training.
- A combination of 13 year experience and education in a related field may be considered.
Other requirements and working conditions
- This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching and writing.
- Weekend, holiday and night work may be necessary.
- Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that may include hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
- Safety training will be provided.
Send cover letter, salary requirement, resume and writing sample to: email@example.com or fax resume to Human Resources Department @ 318-925-5600.