Organization: Alaska SeaLife Center
Location: Seward, Alaska, United States
Job or Internship: Job
This position is responsible for assisting with the Chiswell Island Remote Monitoring Project at the Alaska SeaLife Center.
1. Assists with behavioral and population monitoring of Steller sea lions by operating remote video cameras in the field from an office setting.
2. Performs photo-identification of pinnipeds through remote video equipment or in the wild as requested.
3. Performs and records census counts, behavioral observations, and other data using pre-defined protocols.
4. Ensures accurate record keeping in spreadsheet, database, and word processing formats.
5. Assists with other research projects conducted at the Alaska SeaLife Center as requested.
6. Assists with studies in the field as assigned which may require extended stays in remote locations with few basic amenities.
Education/Training Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in biology, marine biology, zoology, or related field with two years experience in a similar position is preferred. Experience in biological field studies, scientific writing, remote monitoring equipment, and photo identification of marine mammals preferred.
This is a seasonal position.
Start date: May 15, 2013
End Date: Mid August
Apply by close of business: March 1, 2013
Send resume & application (downloadable at www.alaskasealife.org) to HR@alaskasealife.org, or to Human Resources, Alaska SeaLife Center, P. O. Box 1329, Seward, AK 99664-1329, or fax 907-224-6320.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer