Organization: The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Education Instructor (2 positions)- Internship (unpaid)
The Education Department at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore offers internship opportunities to undergraduate students working toward a degree in education, theatre, biology, wildlife conservation, environmental studies, ecology or other related field. Recent graduates may also be considered. Interns will work side by side with experienced education staff and volunteers in a variety of different programs.
• Deliver educational content about nature, wildlife and conservation to zoo guests, school groups and the general public in order to extend and enhance the educational value of the Zoo experience.
• Assist with the planning and preparation of educational materials using artifacts, animal ambassadors and hands-on activities in an informal setting
• Provide support to School Programs, Public Programming, Outreach, Zoo Camp and Junior Zoo Crew staff and volunteers
• Assist with data entry and the production of program reports
• Assist with the set-up and breakdown of education stations, including, but not limited to:
• Moving and setting up chairs and tables
• Lifting, carrying, and placing educational materials and supplies
• Organizing and cleaning storage facilities
• An undergraduate enrolled in an accredited college pursuing a degree in education, theatre, biology, wildlife conservation, environmental studies, ecology or a related field preferred
• Juniors or seniors are preferred
• Must complete a minimum of 120 hours of work within the selected term, averaging approximately 10-12 hours per week
• Occasional weekends are required
• Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of age groups and ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds
• Proficient knowledge in Microsoft Office programs; basic computer skills required
• Ability to lift heavy objects, work in a variety of weather conditions, and stand for long periods of time is preferred
• Additional preferred abilities : strong communicator, creative thinker, analytical/strategic thinker, strong writer, proficient editor, familiarity with the Baltimore/Maryland community
To apply, internship candidates must complete the online Volunteer Application available online at: http://www.marylandzoo.org/support-the-zoo/volunteer/ and submit the following:
• School transcript, official or unofficial, and copies are accepted
• Cover letter explaining the applicant’s:
o Goals and how this internship will help achieve those goals;
o Relevant skills, activities, experience and/or classes;
o School requirements for internship credit (if applicable);
o Start and end dates, and days of availability.
o Application materials may be mailed, emailed or faxed to the Volunteer Department:
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
1876 Mansion House Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21217
• Internships are unpaid, and there is no reimbursement for transportation or housing;
• Internships may require a minimum of 120 hours or more, with at least a weekly commitment;
• Proof of current tetanus vaccination is required;
• For timely consideration all applications, materials are due:
o November 1st – Spring session
o March 1st – Summer session
o August 1st - Fall session
• All applicants will be notified upon receipt of all materials. Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.