Organization: Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo
Location: Tampa, FL, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo is currently seeking enthusiastic and motivated individuals interested in a career as an animal care professional. While working in our Equine and Domestic Animal Department, interns will learn all aspects of animal care and husbandry as well as gain knowledge in operant conditioning techniques.
As an intern, you can expect to:
- Work hands on with our horses and a variety of domestic livestock.
- Complete a lecture series to prepare you for a future career in animal husbandry.
- Learn the natural history and anatomy of the animals in our department.
- Complete individual projects as well as test your knowledge gained during the experience.
- Learn the importance of positive guest relations and educating the public.
- Represent Lowry Park Zoo through exemplary customer service and behavior.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: daily care and feeding of animals in the collection, maintenance of animal exhibits and barns, behavioral observations, record keeping, animal enrichment and public interactions.
Qualified applicants must be able to work in a team environment, easily lift 50 pounds and work outdoors in Florida climate. All positions require a minimum of a high school diploma with preference given to those who are currently working towards a degree in any of the life sciences. Internships will last for three months and require a minimum commitment of 32 hours per week. This internship is unpaid and housing and accommodations are the responsibility of the intern. The deadline for the application is December 15, 2012.
Please send resume and cover letter detailing at least three specific goals you hope to accomplish with this internship to:
Bonnie Young - Animal Care Manager of Equine and Domestic Animals
Mail: Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo
Attn: Bonnie Young – Animal Care Manager
1101 W. Sligh Ave.
Tampa, FL 33604