Endocrinology Scientific Advisory Group
The mission of the Endocrinology Scientific Advisory Group (ESAG) is to develop cooperative relationships between AZA, its Animal Programs, its accredited institutions, and the scientific community of endocrinologists and provide technical advice to enhance endocrine services for AZA Animal Programs.
ESAG advises the AZA Wildlife Conservation and Management Committee (WCMC), Conservation Department, and Animal Program Leaders on issues related to endocrinology. It is overseen by the Animal Welfare Committee.
ESAG is administered by a Steering Committee composed of three Officers (Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary), all of whom are elected from the general ESAG membership. The primary functions of the ESAG are to:
- Provide endocrine advice to AZA-accredited institutions to ensure superior animal health, reproductive management, and welfare.
- Provide a forum for information exchange and collaboration between wildlife endocrinology laboratories.
- Provide advise to zoos and aquariums planning to establish new endocrine laboratories as requested.
- Assist in assessing reproductive status, diagnosing and monitoring pregnancy, treating infertility, supporting development of assisted reproductive technologies, and monitoring adrenal or other potential endocrine functions.
- Participate in or provide advice on endocrinology related research projects/proposals.
Interested in Becoming an Endocrinology SAG Member?
If you are interested in becoming involved with or obtaining more information about ESAG, please contact Janine Brown, Chair.