AZA instructors guide students through projects and exercises that teach valuable real world skills.
AZA COURSE INSTRUCTOR CALL FOR SERVICE
In addition to service on committees and animal programs, another valuable opportunity to participate in AZA’s initiatives is through the Professional Development Program.
AZA's courses are team-taught by experienced and knowledgeable professionals from the zoo and aquarium industry. Instructors are expected to present detailed, factual information to facilitate class discussions and to express ideas that are clear and meaningful to a diverse audience and relate to real-world examples.
Instructors are responsible for preparing course materials, submitting outlines and PowerPoints by course deadlines, and teaching in a team setting. Costs incurred by instructors for travel, meals, and lodging in conjunction with professional development courses are paid for or reimbursed by AZA.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of two professional references to email@example.com. Cover letter should indicate which of the existing course(s) you are interested in teaching, demonstrated knowledge of the subject matter, related career accomplishments, and relevant teaching experience. Please also indicate if there are specific topic areas you could address.
Applications will be reviewed by current course instructors as well as the Professional Development Committee. Applicants may be contacted by a current instructor or committee member for more information about their interest and experience. When a decision has been reached, applicants will receive an official communication from the Professional Development Committee Chair. Please note that not all classes will be adding new instructors each year.
- Individual Professional AZA membership. If you are not a member, you can join now through www.aza.org/membership-for-individuals/. Membership must be maintained for the duration of service as an instructor.
- Commitment to teach a minimum of three consecutive sessions. (Most courses offered annually; some courses offered every other year.)
- Selected applicants will be expected to provide evidence of support from their Director.
- Past participation as a student in the class preferred.
- Preference given to those with prior teaching experience.
- Preference given to those members employed by an AZA-accredited institution.
AZA Professional Development Courses
Below is a list of Professional Development Courses currently offered. Details about each course, including specific topics taught in each, are available at www.aza.org/professional-training/.