About Robert O. Wagner




Robert Wagner

Robert O. Wagner
1935-2011

AZA Executive Director
1975-1992
AZA Chief Administrative Officer 1992-1996

R. Marlin Perkins Award
1994 AZA Honorary Member

Bob was born in Evansville, Indiana, on August 15, 1935. He attended Purdue University where he studied zoology. Bob began his zoo career as a Keeper at Mesker Park Zoo, Evansville, Indiana, in 1955, later becoming Head Keeper and then Assistant Director (1955-1959). After this, Bob became the Director at Washington Park Zoo, Michigan City, Indiana (1959-1964) and then Director at Jackson Zoological Park, Jackson, Mississippi (1964-1975).

As a member of AZA, Bob was Chair of the Membership and Legislative Committees, first Treasurer, and one of the AZA Incorporators. He served on the Board (1971-1974) and as Vice President (1974-1975) before being chosen as the AZA Executive Director in May 1975. Bob remained in this position until July 1992 when he became the Chief Administrative Officer. In December 1996, Bob retired from AZA.

During Bob's tenure, the Association grew from 636 members to over 6,000 and from a $30,000 to a multi-million dollar budget, as well as a Conservation Endowment Fund exceeding $3 million. Some AZA highlights of Bob's tenure as Executive Director include:

1972
AZA Office opens in Wheeling, West Virginia
Articles of Incorporation approved by State of West Virginia
Accreditation Procedures enacted for Institution members on voluntary basis.

1975
School for Professional Management Development first held in Wheeling, West Virginia
Outstanding Service Award established

1976
Code of Professional Ethics adopted
Conservation Award, Education Award, First Breeding Certificate, Silver Propagator's Certificate & Gold Propagator's Certificate established

1978
R. Marlin Perkins Award established

1980
Accreditation becomes mandatory for new institutions

1981
Species Survival Plans initiated
Conservation Office opens in Apple Valley, Minnesota

1982
Zoological Park and Aquarium Fundamentals, 2nd edition, published
Zoo Biology begins publication

1984
Conservation Endowment Fund established

1985
Accreditation becomes mandatory for existing institutional members
First Long-Range Plan developed for the Association.

1987
School for Applied Zoo and Aquarium Biology established

1990
Conservation Office moved to Conservation Center, Bethesda, Maryland

1991
Studbook Training Program and Conservation Academy established
Annual Report on Conservation and Science begins annual publication
Second Long-Range Plan developed for the Association
Received AZA’s highest honor, the R. Marlin Perkins Award