This Year, Add Green To Your Halloween!Oct 8, 2013
Join Veritey and AZA-Accredited Zoos and Aquariums for Green Halloween® Events Around the Country
The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and Green Halloween®, a program of Veritey, have partnered to provide communities with healthy, animal-friendly, and EEK-O-friendly Halloween events at 55 events nationwide.
“Green Halloween events show kids and adults how to apply the 3Rs – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – to Halloween activities,” said AZA Senior Vice President of Marketing, Organizational Planning and Operations, Jill Nicoll. “From selecting healthier treats, to participating in green costume contests and making animal crafts out of recycled products, Green Halloween demonstrates how there are a number of ways to make Halloween fun and eco-friendly.”
A list of participating zoos and aquariums can be found at http://greenhalloween.org/content.php?page=events_aza2013. If your local zoo or aquarium is not sponsoring a Green Halloween event, there are many great ways to also participate at home.Five tips to make your Halloween healthier and greener include:
- Looking for alternatives to conventional candy? Choose healthier treats that everyone from toddlers to teens will love, including snack bars, honey sticks, fruit pouches, all natural gum, or better-for-you drink alternatives. Take a look at our 10 Best Healthy Candies List for ideas!
- Want to get educated on what to choose, why, and where? Learn about Candy Buy Back, Candy Trade, Healthy Treat Alternatives and more on Green Halloween’s Candy Cheat Sheet.
- Always purchase new costumes? This year, SWAP! National Costume Swap Day™ is Saturday, October 12, so before heading to the big box store, look for a local costume swap.
- Want to throw a healthier Halloween party? Get a Healthy Party Kit from Healthy Child and Green Halloween with all sorts of educational materials to help get your healthier Halloween party started.
- Looking for pre-emptive measures before trick or treating? Offset candy binges by eating a rainbow of colors. Phytonutrients in fruits, veggies, and whole grains fill you up and boost your immune system.
Hundreds of other suggestions are available at www.GreenHalloween.org, along with ways everyone can participate. Schools, community and government groups,libraries, dentists and doctors, all will find easy-to-implement ideas. Look for official Green Halloween® events in your local area by visiting www.GreenHalloween.org or create your own with tips and resources from for Green Halloween and its sponsors.
Green Halloween is a grassroots community initiative that helps families celebrate healthier and environmentally-friendly holidays, starting with Halloween. It is a program of Veritey, a healthy living resource that enables consumers to make safe, effective product choices. Healthier and sustainable treats are provided by Green Halloween’s partners, including: Honest Tea,LARABAR, Nature’s Path, Plum Organics, Surf Sweets, Wholesome Sweeteners, and Glee Gum. For more information about Green Halloween, please contact Adrienne Peres at Adrienne@veritey.com.
Founded in 1924, the ASSOCIATION OF ZOOS AND AQUARIUMS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of zoos and aquariums in the areas of conservation, education, science, and recreation. Look for the AZA logo whenever you visit a zoo or aquarium as your assurance that you are supporting a facility dedicated to providing excellent care for animals, a great experience for you, and a better future for all living things. The AZA is a leader in global wildlife conservation, and your link to helping animals in their native habitats. To learn more visit www.aza.org.
VERITEY is a healthy living resource that combines curated content, e-commerce, and community engagement. For the first time, consumers can make “think-proof” decisions at the point of purchase because Veritey sells ONLY healthy, safe products that truly work. Consumers can search and shop based on four clearly defined passion points: Safe/Non-Toxic, Sustainable/Eco,Socially Responsible and Cruelty-Free. Veritey’s mission is to shift share to companies pioneering a purer path. www.veritey.com
AZA Members: Submit your Zoo & Aquarium News