Organization: Turtle Bay Exploration Park
Location: Redding, CA, us
Job or Internship: Job
Turtle Bay Exploration Park seeks an experienced team player to join us as a part-time Aquarist in our Animal Department. Turtle Bay Exploration Park is filled with entertaining activities focused on the interpretation of the relationship between humans and nature. Our 300 acre campus sits on the Sacramento River in beautiful Northern California.
Under the supervision of the Curator of Animal Programs and in conjunction with a fellow aquarist you will maintain our freshwater and marine ecosystems for public display, including one 22,000 gallon system and approximately 15 smaller systems ranging from 50-600 gallons.
The chosen applicant will be responsible for performing hands-on animal husbandry (fish, amphibians, reptiles, and invertebrates); maintain life support systems and appropriate environmental conditions; and perform all aspects of water quality testing. In addition you will be trained to support the animal show area of Turtle Bay, which includes husbandry and handling practices of our reptiles, birds, and mammals; assisting with summer shows; and our year-round walk through aviary. Applicant must be outgoing, creative, confident, self-motivated, and work well independently, as well as with others (including adult and teen volunteers).
The individual we seek will be experienced, dynamic, and present him/herself well to the public. He/she will work to create aquaria that will enthuse, entertain, and educate Turtle Bay’s guests.
Qualifications for our Aquarist include:
- Desired education and experience includes a minimum of a 2 year college degree with emphasis on biology or science or equivalent experience.
- Minimum one (1) year experience maintaining public aquariums, including freshwater and marine aquatic exhibits.
- Must fully understand and be able to perform all aspects of water quality testing.
- Demonstrated experience creating and delivering public presentations.
- Must have nationally recognized SCUBA certification with a preferred minimum additional 20 dives (logged or facility).
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Exceptional organization and recordkeeping skills, detail oriented, able to set priorities, and execute multiple tasks and projects.
- Selected candidate must pass a pre-employment physical and drug screening.
Turtle Bay Exploration Park sits on the banks of the Sacramento River with the Sundial Bridge, designed by world-renowned architect Santiago Calatrava, and is linked to a beautiful thirteen-mile trail along the Sacramento River. Redding is a dynamic community with a superb climate. Our moderate seasons, with low-humidity, sunny summers and mild winters set the stage for after-work and weekend boating, fishing, and other water-sport trips. Our local lakes, Shasta and Whiskeytown, as well as the Sacramento River are all just minutes away. In the winter, a short drive to Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen brings snow skiing, sledding and other winter sports in abundance. Redding is a fabulous location for those interested in an active outdoor lifestyle.
Send your letter of interest and resume to:
Turtle Bay Exploration Park, 1335A Arboretum Drive, Redding, CA 96003
Phone: (530) 242-3164/Fax: (530) 242-8898 Open Until Filled