Organization: Dallas Zoo Mgmt, Inc.
Location: Dallas, TX, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Responsible for leading on-site programs to students of all ages (preschool, elementary, middle, high school students and adults). This is a non-benefited, part-time position.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Teach programs and tours including lessons, activities and handling of live education animals.
• Safely gather and transport education animals to and from programs.
• Available for programs Monday- Friday, usually between the hours of 9am – 4pm. Instructors are assigned to programs as needed.
• Prepare classrooms, materials and supplies before and after programs. Keep classrooms and storage closets neat and organized.
• Interact and communicate positively and professionally with teachers regarding zoo programs.
• Develop curriculum/activity content as assigned by supervisor.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Academic Programs Instructors are not guaranteed hours but work as programs are scheduled up to 32 hours a week during the busy seasons (Sept-Dec and March-May). Chosen candidates are also expected to attend weekly instructor meetings and will be scheduled to teach programs at both the Dallas Zoo and the Children’s Aquarium at Fair Park.
• B.A. /B.S. in Biology, Education or related field preferred.
• Minimum of one year of teaching experience in a classroom, non-formal science center, zoo or nature center required.
• Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Must have excellent communication and customer service skills.
• Must be able to effectively manage large groups of participants in a classroom and around the zoo.
• Must be flexible and willing to assist with a variety of teaching and administrative duties.
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time and walk long distances.
• Must be able to respond in a calm manner to emergencies.
• Must be able to work outside.
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
Successful candidates must pass pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test. Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
All applicants MUST place job code PGINST in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era.