Organization: Texas State Aquarium
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
• Participates in the primary care and training of the marine mammal collection.
• Maintain marine mammal exhibit.
• Participate in all areas of marine mammal husbandry and programming.
• Participate in behavioral enrichment.
• Prepare food and feed according to established procedures.
• Observe animal behavior and report unusual/abnormal behavior to supervisor.
• Assist Veterinarian during marine mammal medicals.
• Enter data into TRACKS.
• Maintain all feeding, behavior, training and medical records.
• Clean, maintain, and store utensils and equipment used to feed and care for animals.
• Assess water chemistry/temperatures and report anything unusual to supervisors.
• Plan and direct the work of support staff and volunteers in primary areas of responsibility.
• Enter exhibits by use of SCUBA equipment to clean exhibitry, provide animal care, and/or feed.
• Provide assistance on research projects related to animal behavior, animal nutrition, animal physiology, and water chemistry.
• Contribute to the maintenance and cleanliness of the Dolphin Bay wet area.
• Adhere to all governmental/AZA policies regarding acquisition, husbandry, records, and animal health.
• Perform related duties as assigned
• Comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures. Report all unsafe work practices to supervisor and / or Human Resources.
• Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge and skills.
• Provide exceptional guest service.
• Abide by all policies and procedures outlined in the employee handbook.
• Abide by all policies and procedures outlined in the Animal Husbandry Standard Operating Procedures.