Organization: San Antonio Zoo
Location: San Antonio, TX, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Nature of Work:
The Nutrition Center Zoo Keeper performs a variety of tasks related to the storage, preparation, rotation, sanitation, and delivery of animal feed and cleaning supplies in the zoo, as well as the delivery of hay including heavy manual labor when needed. This must be done in accordance with USDA regulations. Also, there is a need to humanely trap feral animals that inhabit the area and requires the need of rabies vaccine. The work requires an amount of independent action with less immediate supervision given after experience is acquired.
• Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective working relations with fellow employees.
• Constantly exhibit a guest service attitude, a smile, and an obvious interest in guest comfort and service.
• Communicate with the public in a courteous and tactful manner and assist guests with questions and directions to various areas of the Zoo. Address the guest - do not wait to be asked.
• Remove trash and debris from public areas; i.e. pick up litter whenever you see it.
• Driving motor vehicles, hay tug, forklift, and operating mechanical equipment.
• Operating food service equipment including food grinders, dicers, mixers, and band saws.
• Preparing animal diets according to formulas and feeding schedules.
• Preparing and delivering food items through the Zoo often prior to daylight.
• Dispensing dry goods and cleaning supplies to various locations.
• Diet preparation.
• Performing proper food rotation, restocking, and reporting low inventory.
• Any and all other duties as assigned.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays and occasional after-hour assignments.
• Ability to withstand heavy outdoor labor in extreme temperatures typical of South Texas.
• Knowledge of animal nutrition, behavior and biology.
• Knowledge of food sanitation and food handling procedures.
• Ability to safely operate food services equipment and light motor vehicles.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to open, enter, exit, and secure animal enclosures and service areas.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays, and occasional after-hour assignments.
• Associate degree in nutrition, wildlife management, zoology, biology or related field.
• A strong desire to work with animals as indicated by educational background and/or previous experience.
• One-year zoo keeping or animal nutrition experience.
• Valid driver's license.
Visit our website at www.sazoo.org/jobs to apply for this position.