Organization: Golden Nugget
Location: Las Vegas, NV, us
Job or Internship: Job
Golden Nugget Casino, located in downtown Las Vegas, houses a 200,000 gallon shark tank in the center of our hotel’s swimming pool, as well as a 75,000 gallon tropical marine exhibit in the center of one of our restaurants. We are currently seeking a full-time Biologist III.
A Biologist III is aware of all aspects of the Life Sciences Department and must participate in all aspects of the department. This includes maintaining department protocols, adhering to policies, and fulfilling daily responsibilities concerning the care and maintenance of the animal collection. Job duties also include assisting biologists in their daily routines, staff training, insuring all displays are ready for guests, and communicating all supply needs to management.
· High School diploma or equivalent.
· College degree in Biology, Zoology, Animal Science or related field preferred (related work experience may be substituted).
· Must be S.C.U.B.A. certified diver (with 50 logged hours of dive time and with advanced certifications preferred) and must be able to dive on a daily basis.
· Must have working knowledge of life support systems, animal husbandry, animal rearing techniques, disease prevention and treatment.
· Must represent Golden Nugget in a professional manner with all guests.
· Must have five years zoological experience, preferably with fish and/or sharks.
Subject to possibility of bites and stings. Work and swim in fresh and saltwater, both man-made and natural. Walking and working within a wet environment. Outdoor work on occasion, under variety of conditions: cold weather, hot weather, rain, mud, ocean environments, and dry land. Must be available to work hours outside of scheduled hours (with possibility of overtime) for emergency and non-emergency situations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Professional Animal Care
· Perform daily routines as scheduled and fill in as needed to insure completion.
· Ensure that appropriate animal records are maintained.
· Assist with animal treatments and perform some treatments as directed.
· Assist with and help organize animal movements as directed by Curator/Life Sciences Manager.
· Inspect and maintain animal health at top standards.
· Identify disease problems, in coordination with Curator/Life Sciences Manager.
· Make frequent daily rounds to evaluate animal health and exhibit condition.
· Conduct yourself in helpful, patient manner with all guests.
· Participate in various public presentations, with or without animals.
· Communicate problems with animals and exhibits to Curator or Life Sciences Manager.
· Interact with dignitaries, professionals, special guests, VIPs or tours as directed.
· Foster good relations with staff, guests, volunteers and contractors.
· Interface with other departments during projects.
· Observe and help maintain department areas (and those not normally your responsibility) as directed.
· Report supply needs to supervisor. Maintain and order necessary supplies as directed by Curator/Life Sciences Manager.
· Assure exhibit "readiness" for opening in absence of Curator or Life Sciences Manager.
· Make frequent daily rounds to evaluate cleanliness of work area/ equipment and safety concerns.
· Evaluate water analysis, water quality and water quality record keeping.
· Perform administrative duties with, or in absence of, Curator/Life Sciences Manager.
· Help develop weekly/daily work schedules.
· Membership in Animal Care & Use Committee and Dive Safety Board as assigned.
· Organize and conduct field collecting trips as directed by Curator/Life Sciences Manager.
· Organize animal movements, in coordination with Curator/ Life Sciences Manager.
Supervision of Personnel
· Set an example for the staff by reporting to work by scheduled time and maintaining a clean, professional appearance and project a positive, can-do attitude.
· Assist in the daily routines of Biology team.
· Assist in the ongoing training of routines and procedures for new and existing employees.
· Report to work location by scheduled time.
· Maintain clean, professional appearance.
· Be organized and self-motivated.
· Occasionally heavy lifting of 50 # or more
· Constantly required to swim, sit, walk, talk, hear, taste, and smell.
· Constantly must use arms/hands/fingers to reach/handle/feel in work environment.
· Constantly walking in a wet environment on uneven surfaces.
· Constantly using stairs and climbing ladders
· Frequently required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, balance, and to perform repetitive behaviors.
· Must be comfortable diving and swimming with animals constantly.
· Constant visual acuity required. Includes close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to focus.
· Must be able to pass SCUBA diving evaluations.
· Must have a high desire to provide the best care available to animals.
· Must be observant.
· Must work with other employees in a polite, patient manner.
· Must be willing to participate in public interaction.
· Must be available to work as required and prepared to work odd or unscheduled hours.
Please send resume to RBrown@GoldenNugget.com