Organization: The Wilds
Location: Cumberland, Ohio, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Wilds is one of the largest and most innovative conservation centers in the world. Below is a summary of the position:
• The Animal Management apprenticeship will focus on assisting the Wilds’ animal management program with regular animal care and various research projects.
• Schedule: Five days per week. 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM March 4th, 2014 – August 29th, 2014 (flexible upon arrangement).
• Candidates must be responsible, flexible, self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as in a team.
• Typical tasks: daily care and management of wild animals including cleaning and feeding, animal observations, record keeping and facilities maintenance.
• Skills training: techniques and guidelines for working safely around wild animals; selection, preparation and presentation of proper foodstuffs; cleaning and disinfection of animal enclosures; recognizing significant changes in animal behavior or condition; moving animals including shifting, crating or other transport; capture and restraint; animal identification methods including ear tagging or transponder placement; assisting with veterinary medical procedures; implementation of conservation breeding programs; research techniques; research methodology.
• The position is physically demanding at times, requiring outdoor work in a variety of temperatures and sometimes challenging conditions.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift at least 45 lbs.
Interns do not receive monetary compensation; however the position is ideal for those interested in a career in conservation, natural resource management, animal management, or ecological studies. Opportunities for school credit are available. On-site housing is available for $250/month.
To apply, send your resume with references and a cover letter to the contact below. Please outline your interest in the position, what you would hope to gain from it and how your past experience makes you an ideal candidate. All internships at the Wilds are competitive and we value placing individuals in programs that suit their career goals.
Please send application materials to:
Director of Conservation Science
14000 International Road
Cumberland, OH 43732
740-638-5030 ext. 2301