Organization: Museum of Science
Location: Boston, MA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Butterfly Garden Interpreter (Friday Shift)
Museum of Science, Boston
Innovation and creativity come from the unique perspectives of a diverse staff. We value your perspective.
The Butterfly Garden Interpreter is primarily concerned with providing a high quality visitor experience through maintaining and practicing high professional standards for visitor services, informal science interpretation and care of the Museum's living collection. She/he greets visitors and engages them in subjects of plant and butterfly biology through interpretations and answering questions. The Butterfly Garden Interpreter monitors visitor activity to ensure plants and butterflies are not touched or removed from the Garden. He/She also ensures all USDA containment procedures are followed. The Butterfly Garden Interpreter assists in the training of volunteers and may on occasion supervise the operation of the garden in the absence of the Curators.
• Assists in greeting and monitoring approximately 10,000 guests per month.
• Assists in providing informal and formal educational presentations for up to 800 guests per day.
• Assists in the maintenance of a 3000 sg. ft. free flight butterfly exhibit.
• Assists in the care of the plant and animal collection, including 350 butterflies.
• Must be available to work on holidays and weekends as the Butterfly Garden is a 365 days a year operation.
This position is, part-time, 6 hours/week, Fridays 9:00am-3:00pm.
Manager, Living Collections
• Post High School course work, technical degree, associate's degree or business certificate preferred.
• More than 6 months, of relevant experience. Strong interest in plants, insects and other natural history topics a plus.
Non-Exempt (Hourly). Commensurate with experience.
Free parking in the Museum garage, T accessibility, free Exhibit Halls admission and Omni/Planetarium shows, free Duck Tours, discounts in the Museum store and cafe, discounted movie passes, retirement & savings plan.
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY IN OUR DIVERSE AND DYNAMIC WORK ENVIRONMENT, SUBMIT YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Human Resources Department
Museum of Science
Boston, MA 02114
Fax: (617) 589-0362
Visit www.mos.org/jobs for our most up-to-date employment listings. No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application. The Museum of Science is an Equal Opportunity Employer.