Organization: Brevard Zoo
Location: Melbourne, FL, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Along with the Director of Development and the Director of Membership, the Director of Marketing serves as a leader in Brevard Zoo’s Community Relations Department. This department develops strategies and implements programs that tightly bind the Zoo to the Central Florida community and fosters the growth of both the institution and the constituents it serves.
Specifically, the Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for leading, managing and directing all of the strategic marketing related activities. This includes developing marketing strategies to drive paid admission and program attendance, managing the relationship with the Zoo’s advertising firm, public relations, website and social media communications efforts, and managing Zoo special events. The Director of Marketing and Communications will coordinate marketing efforts with other members of the Community Relations Department to ensure unified communications across all departments.
• In consultation with staff and board, develops and recommends an annual plan for the Marketing and Communications department. The plan will set out objectives, plans, and specific activities to be pursued in each area of responsibility. The plan will utilize PR, social media, advertising, publications and events to grow paid zoo and Treetop Trek attendance
• Analyze and interpret data to determine marketing program performance and identify opportunities to grow revenue and operating income
• Act as liaison with cross-functional partners, providing leadership on marketing and brand strategy
• Professionally represent the Zoo to a variety of external audiences including media outlets, corporate and business partners, and government funders.
• Supervise Marketing Department staff and volunteers
• Participate, with other senior managers, in guiding Zoo operations
• Perform such other duties as required
• Create, implement and measure the zoo’s comprehensive marketing, communications, social media and public relations plan, enhancing the organization’s image and position within the marketplace
• Conduct market research and analyze promotions performance
• Manage the strategic direction for the content and design of the website and social media to increase the zoo’s online presence
• Implement strategic initiatives that effectively communicate the brand and mission of the organization
• Manage and develop the department’s team of marketing professionals, ensuring deadlines are met and internal clients are satisfied
• Develop and manage the marketing department’s operating budget
• Oversee writing and copy editing for internal and external communications including ad copy, brochures, e-mail blasts, press releases and newsletters
• Oversee planning and execution of zoo-wide special events to include Cold Blooded Weekend, Boo at the Zoo, Summer Saturday Nights, Holiday Happenings and the Raptor Project
• Zoo leadership and support activities
Five years of full-time experience working in marketing/communications or advertising including at least two years in a strategic position. Significant experience with targeted, data-driven campaigns. Must have excellent communication and presentation skills, journalistic writing ability and progressive social media communications experience.
Bachelor’s degree required or an equivalent combination of education, training and expertise
The ability to thrive in a creative, energetic and entrepreneurial culture with lots of freedom but a limited support structure
A laser-like focus on tracking results and modifying marketing approaches to reflect those results.
Superlative writing and verbal skills to persuasively advocate the mission and achievements of Brevard Zoo
A tangible commitment to the Zoo’s mission
Exquisite attention to detail
This is a full-time position that reports directly to the Zoo Director and currently supervises two full-time positions.
To apply for this position, please electronically submit a cover letter and resume in Word or .pdf format to email@example.com