Organization: San Antonio Zoo
Location: San Antonio, TX, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Nature of Work:
Bird Department Zoo Keepers perform a variety of tasks related to the handling and care of animals/birds and their environments. The work requires an amount of independent action with less immediate supervision given after experience is acquired.
• Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective working relations with fellow employees.
• Constantly exhibit a guest service attitude, a smile, and an obvious interest in guest comfort and service.
• Communicate with the public in a courteous and tactful manner and assist guests with questions and directions to various areas of the Zoo. Address the guest - do not wait to be asked.
• Remove trash and debris from public areas; i.e. pick up litter whenever you see it.
• Observe, evaluate, and report animal/bird behavior and condition to a supervisor on a daily basis.
• Perform routine and special duties involved in the daily care and maintenance of animals/birds in captivity.
• Exchange information with supervisory staff and coworkers on a regular basis.
• Clean and maintain animal/bird enclosures, service areas, and holding facilities on a daily basis using all necessary equipment.
• Successfully secure animals/birds, their enclosures, and other associated structures.
• Assist in treating zoo animals/birds in accordance with instructions of a supervisor or Zoo Veterinarian.
• Provide assistance in construction and maintenance of animal/bird enclosures, facility renovation and/or animal transfer.
• Provide information and assistance to the public.
• Drive motor vehicles or operate mechanical equipment as required.
• Any and all other duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of avian behavior and biology.
• Ability to work safely around delicate, wild, and dangerous animals.
• Ability to handle, examine, and move sick, injured, or struggling birds in a safe and appropriate manner.
• Ability to handle, examine, and transfer eggs safely.
• Have sufficient strength, agility, and coordination to net, capture, and/or restrain flying birds of various sizes and speeds.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Able to safely operate light motor vehicles.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays and occasional after-hour assignments.
• Valid driver's license.
• Associate degree in wildlife management, zoology, biology, or related field preferred.
• One-year zoo keeping experience preferred.
Please apply at www.sazoo.org/jobs. Starting pay is $10.00/hour.