Organization: Brandywine Zoo
Location: Wilmington , DE, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Institution: Brandywine Zoo
Position Title: “Summer Zoo Camp Director”
Location: Brandywine Zoo, 1001 North Park Dr. Wilmington, DE 19802
The Brandywine Zoo Education Department is seeking a responsible, mature, organized, and engaging educator for our seasonal full-time Zoo Camp Director position. We're looking for a person with great people skills (especially children!), a self-starter, mature, energetic; positive; creative; fun; safe, conscientious; and a natural leader who gets along well with others.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and working toward or already have a degree in Education, Recreation, Museum Studies, Communications, Animal Science, or other Biological Sciences. Must have an interest in working with the general public; especially children ages 4-13. Must have experience with children and demonstrate strength in child management and effective public speaking skills such as enthusiasm, voice inflection, and varied facial expressions. Must exhibit consistent professional characteristics such as a positive attitude, ability to show initiative, emotional maturity and self-responsibility. Previous camp, education and/or science background preferred. First Aid and CPR certification is a definite plus!
• At least 21 years old with valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
• Provide proof of negative TB Test within the last 12 months before start date
• Good physical condition: able to stand/walk for extended periods of time, kneel, crouch, and able to work in all weather conditions (Zoo Camp can be a physically demanding activity, requiring long hours outside in the heat of the summer)
• Be able to lift up to 25 pounds
• Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication)
• Overall GPA must be 2.5 or higher
• Strong organizational, administrative and communication skills
• Able and willing to read and follow verbal and written work instructions and work independently
• Willing to assist with administrative, customer relations, and housekeeping tasks as well as animal care
• Able to work cheerfully in a high-pressure, fast-pace environment while maintaining a professional appearance and manner
• Excellent presentation skills with a strong knowledge of interpretive and both formal and informal presentation techniques
• Demonstrated experience in training staff and volunteers preferred
• Able to commit to upholding all Zoo safety and personnel policies, and support the overall mission
Our Zoo Camp Director will be working with our full time education staff and Zoo Camp Educator Interns to develop and implement themed camp lesson plans, materials, and evaluation tools for our camp programs for children ages 4-13. The Brandywine Zoo offers children the chance to spend a week at the zoo learning about animals, zoos, and wildlife conservation. Each week is filled with Zoo visits, live animal presentations, crafts, animal-related games, songs, stories, and learning projects. Our Zoo Camp Director will be responsible for the organization and management of these activities. The Zoo Camp Director will also work with adult and teen volunteers, live animals, and will help children learn about our natural environment in a non-traditional setting.
Other responsibilities may include:
• Delegating, managing, guiding camp staff through positive leadership
• Supervise camp staff to maintain camper and counselor ratios
• Follow our guidelines as outlined in our Zoo Camp Handbook for medical situations, behavior problems, and other camper situations
• Ensuring that campers & staff adhere to our Zoo Camp Policies and Procedures as outline in our Zoo Camp Handbook
• Checking campers in and out each day as per our Camper Check In-Out Policy
• Assist Zoo Camp staff in managing campers and camp activities
• Assisting with implementing evaluation tools for our Zoo Camp
• Create hands-on activities, games and crafts that are age appropriate
• Evaluating camp staff performance and providing positive feedback and guidance
• Communicate with camp parents/guardians on a daily and weekly basis in person, via phone and through email
• Demonstrate an understanding of group dynamics and the ability to manage groups of children and adult leaders in an engaging and friendly manner that fosters a positive experience for all
This position will pay $10-11/hour. Full time is considered 37.5 hours per week. This position will be approximately 12 weeks, between May-August. The Zoo Camp director will primarily work M-F, though some weekend hours may occur. As this is a short-term, contracted position, candidates requiring extended leave or vacation during this time frame may not be considered.
Please send resume and cover letter to the Curator of Education, Jacque Williamson, at Jacque.Williamson@state.de.us.
Applications will be accepted until April, 2014, or until the position is filled.
Please Note-All Delaware State Parks Employees are required to undergo and successfully complete a background check performed by the Division. The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.