Organization: Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo
Location: Tampa, Florida, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo is seeking a Grounds Maintenance Supervisor for its Horticulture department.
Posting Information: Full Time, Hourly
Responsible for monitoring the daily functions of the Grounds Maintenance department, its services, supplies, equipment, and employees. Responsible for employee and guest safety relative to grounds keeping activities. Performs departmental duties as required.
Please apply online at: http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/career/CareerHome.action?clientId=8ad8dbd139b8862b0139bcdd4ab373a4
Cover Letter Requirements:
If you are interested in applying for the Grounds Maintenance Supervisor position, in addition to your resume, please provide a cover letter, addressed "To Grounds Maintenance Supervisor Selection Committee," that includes the following:
• Your reason for interest in the position
• Experience relevant to the position
• What you believe to be essential traits for success in this position
• Salary requirements
Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
Essential Functions (Including, but not limited to):
• Responsible for patrolling property, assessing safety, horticulture and general grounds maintenance needs and projects, and actively seeking out ways to improve the guest experience.
• In cooperation with the VP Animal Science & Conservation, develops and manages master horticulture schedule (e.g., fertilizing, planting, irrigation, equipment maintenance, etc.). Provides timely and accurate reports of progress.
• Recruits, mentors, trains, develops, monitors performance, provides a safe working environment, and fulfills general human resource needs of department. Plans and implements scheduling of all Grounds Maintenance team members.
• Evaluates the performance of the staff members and recommends and implements improvements as necessary. Counsels employees for disciplinary problems.
• Maintains the appearance of the Zoo with a high level of customer service. Recommends and implements changes to enhance efficiency and to improve the quality of grounds keeping services.
• Ensures company and regulatory compliance related to functional areas of responsibility. Enhances, develops, implements, and enforces policies and procedures of functional areas of responsibility.
• Responsible for proper and safe use of supplies, equipment, and tools. Provides supply/equipment/tool specific training. Secures and monitors equipment and tools to ensure that only trained or certified employees have access for use. Maintains manuals, PPE cards, PPE supplies, and all other aspects of safe supply, equipment, and tool use within the department.
• In consideration for employee, guest, animal areas, ensures that areas are properly secured before commencement of a project. Minimizes project intrusion into employee, guest, and animal areas. Ensures that unavoidable intrusion will not result in unsafe conditions or injury.
• Assists with building the annual Grounds Maintenance budget. Monitors supply and plant inventory; places orders as required.
• Supports all functions of the Grounds Maintenance Department as required.
• Assists Zoo internal and external guests with all Grounds Maintenance needs throughout the Zoo whenever necessary.
• Ensures quality guest service by reaching out beyond functional areas of responsibility and reporting and suggesting improvements that will enhance Zoo appearance, safety and visitor experience Zoo-wide.
• Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
• Works closely with animal departments and Maintenance for exhibit construction or remodeling.
• Monitors and maintains all flower beds, planters, green houses and gardens as well as notifying the responsible party for any substandard areas.
• Must be able to recommend and implement new treatments, new plantings and/or irrigation work.
• Recommends and implements changes to enhance efficiency as well as to improve the quality of horticulture and grounds keeping inside and outside the zoo.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must possess a high school or equivalency diploma.
• Some college or training in the areas of supervision, horticulture or maintenance is preferred. One year of experience, preferably in a zoo, aquarium or museum type of environment is preferred.
Skills and Experience:
• Must have the ability to follow specific instructions and also be comfortable self-directing.
• Capacity to anticipate: ability to think ahead and plan over multi-year time span.
• Capacity to change: ability to identify and correct operational problems quickly.
• Management: the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
• Must be able to think logically and solve problems with minimal guidance.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be flexible and have the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment while maintaining a positive attitude with the public.
• Ability to communicate ideas and contribute effectively to the department.
• Must be able to train and motivate staff members.
• Must think logically and exercise discretion and independent judgment to solve problems that may arise.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and be able to stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to work in extreme weather conditions typical to west central Florida (i.e., heat, rain, or cold).
• Ability to use radio, telephone, and computer to communicate and follow written and verbal instructions.
• Must be willing and able to work varied and long shifts including holidays and weekends.
• Must be able to plan for, work, and staff specials events and exhibits as well as be available for unexpected shifts.
• Must be able to work in a variety of physical positions, including sitting, bending, standing, walking and driving.
• Must be comfortable being exposed to uncomfortable or distracting sounds or noise levels on sites of projects being managed or coordinated.
• Must be proficient with Word and Excel and be able to adapt well to various other computer programs.